Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 161

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 31 »

Re: Mike's 53 Caribbean
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

Tobs wrote:
Weather seal?
I didn't do anything for a weather seal. I just screwed it right on there. I guess I should check if there is a plastic membrane between the inside of the door and the upholstery. The part of the door where the mirror is screwed onto is already full of holes from the trim, so I think 2 more screw holes will not make a difference.

I guess you're right. It probably wouldn't make much, if any difference whether or not you did any sort of a seal under the base of the mirror.

From the factory, did the trim have any sort of seal where the clips meet the holes? I can't tell on mine since the trim was removed in the past for painting. Without a seal those holes let water right into the unprotected inner metal. The inside of my doors are covered in surface rust, and all the sound deadener in there is destroyed.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2022/4/7 10:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

MJG
See User information
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
Quote:

Tobs wrote:
Weather seal?
I didn't do anything for a weather seal. I just screwed it right on there. I guess I should check if there is a plastic membrane between the inside of the door and the upholstery. The part of the door where the mirror is screwed onto is already full of holes from the trim, so I think 2 more screw holes will not make a difference.

I guess you're right. It probably wouldn't make much, if any difference whether or not you did any sort of a seal under the base of the mirror.

From the factory, did the trim have any sort of seal where the clips meet the holes? I can't tell on mine since the trim was removed in the past for painting. Without a seal those holes let water right into the unprotected inner metal. The inside of my doors are covered in surface rust, and all the sound deadener in there is destroyed.

-Kevin

Years ago I had a '49 sedan that had a mirror mounted. I'm not sure if it was factory or not, but it appeared to have a plumbers/electricians putty in the hole, i.e. similar to how you seal a junction box to an exterior wall. If not original it did seem to seal the hole well and don't see why that wouldn't work if properly used.

I have seen some clips on Chrysler products that almost look dipped or installed with a similar putty. In the past I've dipped clips in liquid electrical tape. Just something that seems wrong about installing a metal clip through a freshly painted hole.

Mike

Posted on: 2022/4/7 10:52
1948 Custom Eight Victoria Convertible
Others:
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Deluxe Convertible Coupe
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The putty was probably dum-dum which is commonly used as a non-hardening sealer for seams, trim and moldings.

Posted on: 2022/4/7 14:30
 Top  Print 

Re: Mike
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Headlights are converted to H4 Euro spec (VW bug) headlights. I made new wires from the junction blocks to the headlight and ran 2 extra wires for Power and ground to the parking lights that are now integrated in the headlights according to german code. I tried to match the wire color and type to original. It's good, but not perfect.

Next job is to run a new wire from the reverse switch to the back of the car. Was there a standard routing for that one wire, or did dealers do whatever Was easy?
Here is a pic with the parking lights on.
Happy Easter!

Attach file:

jpg  20220417_220746.jpg (299.49 KB)
657_625c89679f9ec.jpg 1440X1920 px

jpg  20220417_223117.jpg (269.25 KB)
657_625c89864a4c5.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/4/17 16:41
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Re: Mike
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Dealers could and did sometime stray from factory recommendations when installing options but check the 51-4 service manual, accessories section III, starting on page 1 for info on how Packard suggested running the wires for the back up lights when done outside the factory.

Posted on: 2022/4/17 17:07
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I think from the factory the wire (green I believe) followed the main wiring harness through the firewall and down the inside of the cabin. I'm pretty sure the routing is different for sedans vs. hardtops and convertibles. I think on sedans the wiring harness went up the A pillar and through the roof rail.

On my hardtop, the main harness runs along the floor on the driver's side. According to the schematics, the reverse wire should be included in that bundle. My car had reverse lights added sometime after it was new, and they ran the reverse wire under the body on the frame, which then was coated in sealer and unsalvagable. I ran a new green wire from front to back following the factory harness inside the cab.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2022/4/17 21:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
The wire was clipped on to the frame rail under the car, so I just ran a new wire to replace the old wire.
I use a beetle Backup lamp from Hella, and it hangs below the bumper. I'll Post a pic tomorrow. Thanks for the tips!

Posted on: 2022/4/18 15:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Here is a picture of the VW reverse light as installed!

Attach file:

jpg  20220419_193537.jpg (285.57 KB)
657_625ef395c5442.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/4/19 12:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Next electrical project is to intall a 4way hazard system.
I have a 4pole single throw switch from "Ron Francis" which should work, but finding a suitable flasher is tricky.
With 6v positive ground, I couldnt find anything that would work with 4x21 Watt bulbs here in Germany.
A normal thermal Blinker would blink too fast, or burn out.
I ordered a flasher from ledlight.com, and hope that will work. Supposedly it is load independant, and ok with positive ground.

Posted on: 2022/4/19 23:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good day to you. You might try Bratton's Antique Auto. They have your item for Model A Fords and they work well. Also I purchased a replacement for our 1949 Packard, Miss Prudence from Max Merritt and Miss Prudence is well pleased with it. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2022/4/20 14:03
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 31 »

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved