Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 106

John Sauser, BlackBeerd, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 31 »

Re: Mike
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Low heat could be caused by all you mention as well as debris covering part of the core if the screen behind the grill at the front of the air intake is damaged or missing.

As I recall, the air flow thru the core on 51-4 heaters is a bit odd in that flow is split, the air flow only using half the core at a pass. The core lays at a fairly flat angle so air enters thru the bottom and is restricted to half the core at the outside quarters, goes into the upper half of the box and doubles back thru the core to exit into a channel positioned under the core center and then into the car. To my mind air flow and maybe heat output is a bit restricted at only half the core and if debris blocks part of the side entering quarter passes heat would be reduced. At some point they repositioned the core more vertically so air can use the entire area and passes thru just once -- enters one side and exits the other but I think that was not done until the heater assy mounting and inside plenum was redesigned for the 55s.

Aside from something blocking air, any blockage in the core itself that would limit water flow to a portion of the core could also contribute. For valve issues, to rule those out you could always bypass it temporarily and run the heater with full water flow for a few days to see if the heat situation improves.

The cable levers have a compound operation and cable adjustment issues are possible and apparently were known. Packard issued an article on how to check and adjust the dual action levers.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL25NO2.pdf

Posted on: 2022/11/8 10:27
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: Mike's 53 Caribbean
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Thanks Howard for the link to the Service Bulletin. I'm having the same issues as Mike, so this will be very helpful.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2022/11/8 13:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The flapper and valve operation and opening ranges are the same on the 54-6 but the way the levers work the cables to control the operation is quite different.

51-3 levers have a compound action working 2 cables each which is what the bulletin is explaining how to adjust. Because the 54-6 levers are much simpler and each lever just controls a single cable a reference to where the flappers should be positioned when the levers are at their limits will be about all that is applicable.

Posted on: 2022/11/8 14:29
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Thanks Howard,
This evening I ran a copper line from an oil galley plug on the back/side of the block to my oil pressure gauge. While I was under that side of the car, I saw that the flex hose leading from the blower to the heater was not on all the way. I hope fixing that will get some more air through the heater core.
Oil gauge reads 40 lbs at fast idle, so I am happy that measures ok, and my connections are not leaking.

Posted on: 2022/11/8 16:21
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Tonight I warmed up the oil with a short run on the Autobahn (60-70 mph is comfy, no top speed runs) and drained my oil for the First time since I have the car. The oil seemed a little thin, but otherwise didnt make too bad an impression. I will drop the oil pan next and clean that out so that the oil will hopefully stay clean and happy.
Step by step...

Posted on: 2022/11/11 16:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
A friend of mine is going soon to a U-pull it junkyard that has a 5560, 5580 and 5647 packard and asked me if I want anything....I really cant think of much that would be usefull for my 53 Carib. Perhaps the heater valve? Is the Power steering pump the same?
4bbl carb is a rochester, and no longer a carter.... guess they are very different cars. Any ideas of something that would be usefull as a cheap spare?

Posted on: 2022/11/18 16:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I’m not an expert on the V8 models but I doubt anything would fit from one to your 1953. Probably even the power steering pump is different.

Posted on: 2022/11/18 19:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The PS pump reservoir is smaller and V8 bracket is different but not sure if the pump is different enough it would not bolt to a 53 bracket. If any of the cars have a decent Monroe power steering unit, that could be installed on a 53 -- although it would be good to have the Pitman arm and brackets too. A poster even installed one on a 48 and said because of the 48's single belt pulley and wanting to find a Chrysler generator with attached pump the actual unit was not too hard to install and made a world of difference.

Even if you do not use it on your car a lot of people wanting to add PS to a car would prefer the single piece Monroe unit instead of the multi piece Bendix unit. If in decent condition would be a shame to see them junked. Not sure how much demand there would be in Germany for someone wanting to do that upgrade though. If it was over here you could probably move it as long as the ram is not rusted or otherwise damaged.

Posted on: 2022/11/18 19:56
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
I am not sure, but a couple things I can think of:

1) The heater motor, if someone is going to change to 12V on a 1953.

2) The heater valve, as you mentioned.

3) The ultramatic oil cooler

4) i don't know if the radiators interchange, but I think the basic mount points if you get the brackets out as well are the same. The radiator can only be bigger.

5) Wiper motor and other wiper-related stuff, though for the latter the systems are different I think again if you moved to 12V might be useful.

Starter and generator, not sure about brackets, but the starter again bolts in to a basically similar spot on the ultramatic I believe. Again helpful for 12V conversion.

Posted on: 2022/11/18 20:07
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ultamatic cooler on the V8 motors is different than the ones on the S8 motors.

Posted on: 2022/11/18 21:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 31 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved