Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 123

BigKev, CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 ... 31 »

Re: Mike's 53 Caribbean
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The heater valve is different and the one for A/C equipped cars is different yet. As I said, there is not much that interchanges.

Posted on: 2022/11/19 1:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Extra door strikers are handy, trunk hinges and latches (55 only). There are hundreds of little hardware items that are handy including courtesy light switches.

Mechanically there is not so much as 55 marked a whole new power train and many suspension changes. But the senior brake drums will fit, the rear axle shafts, and the pumpkin.

Posted on: 2022/11/19 8:38
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

PackardDon wrote:
The heater valve is different and the one for A/C equipped cars is different yet. As I said, there is not much that interchanges.

Even though it may be a different valve, I believe the cutout and position of the firewall opening is similar enough a standard 55-6 valve would fit. The capillary coil may not be in the exact position to sense the hot air from the small valve air flow cutout opening in the plenum so that area might need a bit of ingenuity.

In an earlier post you mentioned considering a manual operated valve. That might also work well but most of the cable operated valves I found are the straight inline type so would need to be mounted on the inner fender entirely in the engine compt and would need a longer cable. I didn't see any cable operated valves that looked like they would fit the stock opening as is with the cable attachment in a position to utilize the original Bowden cable.

A couple of valves do have a configuration that might be made to work but the firewall opening would need to be changed or enlarged and the depth of the dash pad would mean it would probably need thinning too. No idea if those valves can be obtained with a configuration that would work properly with the location of the off and heat labels on the dash lever.

Posted on: 2022/11/19 10:23
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Thanks everybody for the input. The junkyard is the Harry's U-Pull it in Hazelton PA, so it is not in Germany...Door strikers might be cheap and easy to get and ship, but I guess the big and heavy stuff I will not get unless I need something.

Posted on: 2022/11/22 15:07
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Re: Mike
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
With some patience with penetrating oil, and then tonight being brave with a vice grip, I was able to remove the fuel line fitting from my gas tank. The drain also came out easily, and I was able to empty the tank before dropping it. I knew the gasket for the fuel gauge sender was bad, and suspected that the tank was rusty...well, the suspicion was right. The tank is fairly to very rusted inside. I will start looking for a place local to me that will get this tank healthy again. It feels good to get the tank out and make some progress.
Oh, I found out one thing. I had a socket that is used to remove ball joints on porsches. It fit perfectly on the 4 prong gas tank locking ring. Sure, you can use pliers or a screwdriver, but this tool fit perfectly.

Attach file:

jpg  20221202_221453.jpg (216.11 KB)
657_638a6f7b19012.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  20221202_221544.jpg (145.78 KB)
657_638a6f8d1b012.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/12/2 16:34
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Tobs wrote:......Oh, I found out one thing. I had a socket that is used to remove ball joints on porsches. It fit perfectly on the 4 prong gas tank locking ring......
Mike,

Interested in seeing a photo of that socket!

Posted on: 2022/12/2 18:53
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It’s very likely cheaper buying a reproduction tank. The last rusty tank I had repaired for a non-Packard ended up costing nearly double but at that time and even today there are no reproductions.

Posted on: 2022/12/2 19:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Hi Mal, the Socket is visible in the picture with the fuel level gauge.
pelican

Here is a link to pelican parts that sells them. Also easy to make if you can weld.
We will see if I can find a place to clean the tank, of if I do the cement mixer cleaning Routine myself.

Posted on: 2022/12/3 14:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Mike.

Posted on: 2022/12/3 17:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I was cleaning the tank up a little getting ready to send it to munich for renovation, and found this stamp on the top of the tank. I can't make out much. OA and 633833 or something like it. Anybody know if this is original?

Attach file:

jpg  20221211_114914.jpg (165.79 KB)
657_6395d11e420eb.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/12/11 7:46
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 ... 31 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved