Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
59 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 59

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 Overdrive Switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
I am rewiring my Super 8 (1807) and notice that I have two pairs of wires going to my Econo-Drive. Two wires which are supposed to go to the overdrive indicator light(brown) and energize when the overdrive is active; and two which are supposed to go the lockout switch(black/red). I don't see the OD light socket anywhere on the dash and I do not find a switch that is near(or part of) my overdrive engagement cable.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,
Gar

Attach file:

pdf OD Wiring 1940.pdf Size: 44.99 KB; Hits: 100
pdf Econo OD 1940.pdf Size: 53.17 KB; Hits: 71

Posted on: 2021/9/29 20:29
 Top  Print 

Re: 1940 Overdrive Switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure if I am understanding your question exactly but if you have the wires for the light in the new loom but no socket connected it usually means the socket is not reproduced and you need to use your old one or else make something modern work. The OD indicator light socket is the same two wire electrically isolated from the body ground type used in most turn signal indicator lights but I don't know if one of those would fit in your car. I think I remember the 40 indicator light being part of another knob and switch nearer the top front of the dash so maybe the socket is still in that assy. Depending on the socket size some new springs, contact buttons, and fiber washers may be available from some of the wiring loom vendors. RI wiring is one who sells the individual pieces as well as the insulated light socket used for turn signals.

There are two 2 wire switches in the R9 OD circuit. One is the lockout switch under the dash. That switch is a small flat sided cylinder about 3/4" in diameter and an inch high with 2 screw terminals. It is positioned on top and at the end of the lockout knob bracket assembly. The kickdown switch is in the engine compartment low on the firewall on the accelerator linkage pivot bracket where the accelerator rod comes up from the pedal. Should be a rectangular box with two screw terminals on the side facing the front.

Posted on: 2021/9/29 21:00
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Howard:

Thanks for the fast reply.

OK, so it seems that the lock-out switch was removed under the dash and was bypassed (not cool). Also looks like I need a lockout knob assembly.

I will have to add these to my list and start looking for more parts...

Posted on: 2021/9/29 21:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I have a lock-out cable assembly with switch and knob in good condition. I can deliver to Hershey. $300

Posted on: 2021/9/30 7:21
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Also, the light for overdrive on the dash is the same knob that is used for the dash light dimmer. On cars fitted with overdrive, the switch came with a light with a red cats-eye lens.

Posted on: 2021/9/30 13:03
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
and to clarify further, the rheostat for O/D equipped cars is different, with two more terminals...I have if you need this

Posted on: 2021/9/30 19:00
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
FlackMaster-- I sent you a PM

Posted on: 2021/10/8 12:28
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved