Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
35 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 35

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Fan belt 1941 180
Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
I guess I left out the part where when I called in reinforcements for assistance, he knew that the pulley was removable from the pump shaft and got that off as well as the belt and then the pump was removed. I would never have figured that out since I had not read that anywheres and because my big concern is always breaking something and making the job into an even bigger project.

In my reading of other posts in this forum from those working in that space, I picked up the pointer that I need to use cardboard in front of the radiator and had that in place and still do.

My father always used shellac but my buddy with a Model A uses RTV. That's what made me pose the question. Having access to all the Packard owners out there that are much better at mechanical work than me is a confidence booster and helps me to save a few bucks along the way. As always, I am grateful for all the input.

Posted on: 2021/10/28 7:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Highlander160
See User information
Permatex or Indian Head shellac types are superior. Messy, PITA, but superior. It's also not a "some's good so more is better" thing, just a nice easy coat on the block surface then to the gasket on the pump which will hold it in place. I hate RTV for anything but an oil pan, and sometimes not even that but you do you.

Posted on: 2021/10/30 12:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
In honor of my father's efforts with shellac and hearing that he had it right in the first place, I will stay with shellac. Thanks for the reinforcement.

Posted on: 2021/10/30 17:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Highlander160
See User information
We took the water pump off the survivor 41 160. I had 2 choices to get the bottom bolt off. Remove the motor mount (?) or clearace it with a rough rasp on a die ginder. I took choice 2. The center mount is like brand new and not sagged out in the least. In fact all the mounts are wonderful and sound, solid. I found it rather unusual that there'd be such a dire clearance issue there. The car has 35,000 original miles and doesn't even "sag' up front like nearly all 160s do. All of us 160 mavens know what I'm talking about, that's a hefty engine. How did yours go? And yes the belt was a lesson in cursing proper.

Posted on: 2021/10/31 11:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Well I suppose the motor mount is not in what I call a "Dazzle Zone" - that is where your eye goes first impression, but a flat piece of wood and a jack under the oil pan will raise the motor especially if you loosen the two bolts on the mount itself.

As well, the same process is very helpful for removing oil pans. Remove the two lower motor mount bolts that go through the frame, raise the motor, and shove two pieces of wood under the lower mount arms. That gives lots of room to do things like ring and bearing jobs in the car. I even had a chunk of 3/4 plywood with a relief cut into it to prevent interference with the drain plug. The grinding method is something that works only if you aren't bothered by people making fun of you.

Posted on: 2021/10/31 11:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Highlander, I didn’t have to or want to replace the fan belt so with a more fearless and experienced buddy at hand, we got the pulley off and the fan belt released. It is still hanging there so I didn’t have to deal with the mount issue. In the meantime, I have been fortunate enough to add a retired mechanic to the mix. He has his own Packard that has languished in his garage (1954 Patrician) and has enthusiastically offered to help me with both my cars as he enjoys working on the older simpler cars. When it comes to the motor mount someplace down the road I was gladly enlist his help.

Posted on: 2021/10/31 13:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Highlander160
See User information
Thanks ever so much. I never worked on a Packard before, your insights are, well...

That was directed at Cole BTW

Posted on: 2021/10/31 20:29
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved