Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

car horn
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

spfan
See User information
Hi All,
I have a non operating horn on my 57 Clipper. Can anyone tellme where the fuse to the horn is? I took off the horn medalion and could not find a fuse.

spfan

Posted on: 2021/10/6 14:57
 Top  Print 

Re: car horn
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I'm not very familiar with the 57-58 cars, but it could be the horn relay is bad. On the earlier cars that is on the inner fender by the driver's side.

Posted on: 2021/10/6 15:18
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No fuse for the horns. Power comes directly from the battery connection on the starter solenoid to the B terminal on the horn relay. Relay terminal H goes to the horns and S comes from the button. There is an inline connector in the wire from the button but I don't know where it is on a 57. The wiring diagram just lists it as a loose connector but you might check under the dash near the steering column. Wiring diagram has it a silver colored wire coming out of the column that connects to a red wire. An easy check to make sure the connector was not accidentally disconnected.

As Tobs said, it is more likely to be a relay but other possibilities are the contacts inside the horns have oxidized and are making a poor connection or the horn button itself has a poor connection. On most horns you should be able to insert a screwdriver tip in a small slot like opening on the rim of the cover and twist to pop the covers off the horns and get to the contacts.

I believe but am not 100% sure that the 57 column is almost the same as Packard used for 56. Maybe someone else with a 57 can confirm that. In the 56 Packard column there is a plastic insulator piece that holds the horn contact which connects to the wire. The plastic piece can break and if it does the horn connection to the wheel can move out of position. If you don't find any other obvious issues that might be worth a check. To get to that part the wheel needs to come off.

Posted on: 2021/10/6 15:41
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Use jumper wire ground blue wire on relay horns should blow. The wires inside steering post come out under dash they are turn signal and horn connectors are about six inches from where they exit post

Attach file:

jpg  DSC07305.JPG (145.44 KB)
252_615e263ab0346.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  DSC07306.JPG (110.24 KB)
252_615e2651882fc.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/10/6 17:43
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved