Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 114

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1937 packard how to remove rear brake drum ?????
Just popping in
Just popping in

Richard
See User information
I have a 1937 packard 120. I need to remove the rear brake drum due to cylinder leaking. I've had 2 young mechanics attempt to remove drum. One used a 3 lug drum puller & the other used a five lug drum puller . Both tried using a sledge hammer on the wheel puller. It did not bluge. Heat has been mentioned for removal. I'm concerned about the damage this might incur. Do you think using heat would be a safe thing to do? Do you have any other suggestions? I don't know how long it has been since brakes were changed. I'd appreciated any advise that you can give me. Thanks, Richard

Posted on: 2009/3/25 15:40
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 packard how to remove rear brake drum ?????
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Use a substantial puller such as this dogbone puller. Pound on the ends of the dogbone to keep tightening pressure on the hub. It may take overnight. Do NOT take the large nut completely off. You only need to loosen it about 3-4 turns. Be patient and keep tension on the hub. It may let go with a bang, but the nut will keep it from flying off and doing some damage.

Attach file:

jpg  (10.53 KB)
23_49ca9a6c2b879.jpg 375X281 px

Posted on: 2009/3/25 15:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Randy's procedure is the way most of us do it and it may even take longer than overnight if it hasn't been off for a long time. Don't think I'd use heat because they all eventually come off but a very small amount probably wouldn't hurt --but might not help either.

Posted on: 2009/3/25 16:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I just finished pulling the rear brake drums from my 115C using a drum/hub puller like in the photo. It may take some hammering to get the drum to break loose from the axle, but it will come. Many folks also hammer on the end of the puller to exert some force to help break the drum loose. I do not recommend doing this as it can damage the wheel bearings. I just posted the bearing and seal numbers on the X-Ref section. Look under 115C. The seals should be easy to source locally, and maybe so the bearings. Good luck.

Posted on: 2009/3/25 18:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Faust
See User information
This is not from Packard experience, it is from kid experience with my '57 Chevy. The instructions were to heat the hub of the drum until you heard a "ping", before trying to pull the drum. I used a propane torch at the time.

So, I don't think a reasonable amnount of heat will hurt. These days I would use Mapp Gas.

For what it is worth, distant memory is that on the Chevy the lugs were mounted to the axle flange.

Posted on: 2009/3/25 19:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
In addition to Randy's procedure, be sure to release the emergency brake and back off the brake shoes. Good luck!

Posted on: 2009/3/25 20:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The '57 Chevy uses a flanged rear axle and is different from the tapered shaft that is on the Packards (pre '56). The Packard uses lug bolts that screw into the drum where the Chevy uses lug nuts that screw onto studs attached to the axle flange and protrude through the drum. These are different designs and require different procedures for drum removal. While heat may help with the Chevy situation, I don't think heat will help with the Packard drum removal.

Posted on: 2009/3/25 22:37
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
This is a pic of me pulling off the rear drum on my '54. The puller I am using is a BluePoint that is about 25+ years old. It will come off just keep hammering. Also make sure the e-brake is off, and the retract the shoes with the adjuster to make just it's not hung up. As the others have said, leave the axle nut on, just loose enough. When it "pops" it will sound like a shot-gun going off.

Attach file:

jpg  (57.50 KB)
1_49cb0fe69c81e.jpg 765X768 px

Posted on: 2009/3/26 0:20
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Richard wrote: I have a 1937 packard 120.........

G'day Richard,
Amongst all the technical advice I'd like to you to PackardInfo. And invite you to please include your '37 in the Owner Registry together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 3:11
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Richard, one more thing about pulling the brake drums: When re-assemblying (yes, you will get them off), do not lubricate the taper end of the axle or the drum where it fits unto the axle, just make sure these surfaces are clean. This is important. Also, you will need to torque the axle nuts to 200 ft. lbs. Don't forget the cotter pins too.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 9:26
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved