Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Replacement brake lines 1956 seniors
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Pete '56
See User information
Anyone have trouble installing stainless brake lines from Neal Porter on their 1956 Senior Packard's? I'm experiencing problems in mating them to the existing fittings in the car. Would appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

Posted on: 2021/10/13 11:37
 Top  Print 

Re: Replacement brake lines 1956 seniors
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
What exact problem are you having? Not bend correctly, fitment, not threading?

Posted on: 2021/10/13 12:40
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
In my experience recently trying to use some of the replacement brake lines, slave cylinders, etc. from NAPA et. al., I found that some of them were using 7/16" and some of them were using 3/8" and in some cases adapters were needed such as Eaton WH7828 (see the Parts cross-reference)

Parts Cross Reference

Eaton Weatherhead WH7828 from NAPA

Eaton Weatherhead Adapter 7828 Specs

It's possible that on your car the lines you had on it before had already been swapped out previously for something with a different size, or maybe what you just purchased was designed to use an adapter, or ??

Posted on: 2021/10/13 12:45
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Pete '56
See User information
Bends not matching existing lines. Attempted to install line from pressure brake switch to left front brake fitting, won't thread into both, thread into one will not mate with other end. Long line across frame L/H front brake to R/H front brake does not match existing line.

Posted on: 2021/10/13 12:57
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Pete '56
See User information
These are supposed to be direct replacements for the factory lines. Threads are correct to the existing fittings, just the lengths and/or bends aren't correct.

Posted on: 2021/10/13 13:00
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If the lengths do not match, then I would call them and tell that that something is wrong.

Stainless is very hard to bend and can be brittle. Most of us have bent up our own lines and use the newer coated lines that places like NAPA sell. Much easier to bend and making flairs is not that hard.

But if you paid for direct replacements (but in stainless) the I would get ahold of them as perhaps they send you ones from the wrong car/model.

Posted on: 2021/10/13 13:22
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Can't speak for the lengths but on a Clipper using stainless from another vendor I did have to rebend a small amount in some places. The stainless is very hard to bend too and it must absolutely hit the mating side square on. If angle is slightly off the nuts will not be able to draw the tubing in and align it to form a perfect seal like they can with softer tubing. A misalign can also damage the softer brass side of the fitting to the point it will not seal again even if the tubing alignment does get corrected.

Posted on: 2021/10/13 13:43
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
They pretty bad.

The line that feeds right wheel. Was even way off.

Stainless its a bitch.

But if one has a jig. That is supposed to be the bend then there should be no issues.

Posted on: 2021/10/13 16:56
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That’s why I always use Classic Tube for all my lines. Sure, I’ve had the occasional problem but they always make it right!

Posted on: 2021/10/13 18:40
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved