Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 123

Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: New Complete Wire Harness
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also, I found that a GM Street Rod harness is nearly identical to the wire color layout that Packard used. Packard-Delco connection perhaps?

As Howard said, if you are keeping it 6v then you need to make sure you get a 6v rated harness. While 6v is half the voltage, it is also twice the amperage, hence the requirement for larger diameter wiring.

On my car, since I was going with 12v, I bought a KwikWire Universal (GM Style) Harness. Which as I said before was nearly identical to the Packard harness in terms of wire color. I just need to cut all the zip-ties on the new harness and regroup the wiring to match the Packard harness. (This is all covered in my project blog).

Posted on: 2021/10/19 13:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Josef Lichtenberg
See User information
for my series 21 i have used YNZ. well made. fit exact. instalation manual was well made too. you can choose all options your car has got. i can not tell you bad things. BR Josef

Posted on: 2021/10/19 13:47
Packard Super Clipper 1947
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Thanks for the information.

I reached out to the suppliers listed above and the wire harness is $1600.00 so I am now considering building my own wire harness. This car is never going to be a concourse show car so an aftermarket wire harness is very interesting. I have wired up cars before so I am not intimidated by the project.

The need for larger gauge wire is a very good point.

Posted on: 2021/10/19 19:39
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If your not going for restoration correct, then this may be an option. I like having sperate circuits for items.

https://watsons-streetworks.com/product/rebel-wire-6-volt-universal-wire-harness/

Posted on: 2021/10/19 20:44
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Most of the shops that make authentic harnesses can reproduce yours if you send it to them. Doing so will also give them a template to make one for the next person who needs it!

Posted on: 2021/10/19 23:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
I used Potomac Packard for the Harness for my 51 "300". Top quality (6v) I dont remember the price. It was over 12 years ago. At the time I felt it was well worth the price.

Posted on: 2021/10/20 10:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Hello Gary49. I just received a 1950 Super Eight. After inspection it needs new wiring. Lots of black tape covering bare wire, plus several bare wires I found, one touching the fire wall! I was thinking it can't be too terrible to make a harness yourself, so I was really glad to see your post.

I was reading an article or saw a video not too long ago. They stated on a 6volt system you should use 12ga wire for all your small secondary wires not 14. What do you think?

Dave O

Posted on: 2021/11/12 20:40
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you are going to make your own harness I would suggest you stay with the same wire sizes Packard used. Here is a chart listing 48 wire sizes which I believe BDeB originally posted. The 52 and 53 wiring diagrams also have the sizes as listed by the factory as part of those diagrams.

The 48 diagram, as far as point to point, will be partially correct but the others will be of little to no use on your 50. The 48 and 52-53 listed wire sizes will be virtually the same for all 6v models however you may want to have the complete diagrams to correlate size with the wire runs.

The basic 48 diagram is in the wiring diagram section of the literature archive and the service counselors containing the 52 and 53 mechanical specs and wire diagrams with included wire sizes are in the service counselors and bulletins section. You can download the counselors to see that information. 52 diagram is in SC Vol 25 #13 and is part of the 51 collection and 53 diagram is in 52 collection Vol 26 #11.

Attach file:

pdf 48 wire size.pdf Size: 1,354.43 KB; Hits: 237

Posted on: 2021/11/12 21:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary49eight
See User information
Hi Dave. I used the same size wire as original, but I used a bigger one from the starter to amp gauge, I used double witres from the headlight switch to the dipper to the front junction block. Email me if want lots of details. Gary

Posted on: 2021/11/14 3:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Packard or the time period didn't follow good practice on electrical diagrams, as it didn't list the wire gauge*. That's pretty much industry standard later in the '50s. The color is noted.
Personally, I don't have any problem making my own, but not everyone has the tools or time. These are the old style wrapped rubber core wires, and if you want that, then it's much more difficult. Making yourself, you're going to have a pile of money in wire at today's prices. Things are hard to come by right now, also. If you're doing just one then maybe better to buy it.
No reason to up gauge 6V unless you're trying to optimize the cost - do not down gauge! Eg: you need 10' of purple 18 ga - have to buy a 100' roll, but have enough 14 or 16 left over. The connectors will change, so may not fit in the space provided.
These are pretty much Packard Electric connectors so should not be an issue obtaining. Still around.
* - FYI;the new wire gauge standards allow slightly smaller wire than what was the standard at this time. It'll still carry the amps, but the overamp margin maybe less.

Posted on: 2021/11/14 10:36
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved