Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rust in gas tank
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
I recently had my car tuned up and it now running rough. It starts easy but idles rough and loses power on excelleration. Today a mechanic asked if I had taken a sample of the gas in the tank. I had not, so I pumped a quart into a clear container and when it settled, there was rust in the jar.
I think this my problem
What do I do next, clean the tank or get the junk out of the fuel system and carb..
There is a company in the Detroit area that does Gas Tank Renu
You guys are always so helpful. I am thankful in advance

Posted on: 2021/10/19 19:52
'49 Deluxe Eight - 23rd Series
 Top  Print 

Re: Rust in gas tank
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
Pictures of sample from tank

Posted on: 2021/10/19 19:57
'49 Deluxe Eight - 23rd Series
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Gas tank Renu is a relatively expensive option but since there are no repro tanks available for your car probably not a bad investment if you want to be on the safe side. They will return the tank in like new condition. If it is not too terribly bad you might also be able to have a radiator shop do a cleaning. If the tern coating has been destroyed though that would be a short term fix as the rust would probably come back. Draining the tank and adding fresh gas along with a large filter in the line just outside the tank might also be a good move if it is only small rust particles.

On getting the rust already in the system out, there is a screen in the fuel pump that might have a good coating of rust so you might want to clean it. Depending on your pump you may need to make or find a new bowl gasket and possibly a fiber washer for the attaching bolt before you remove the bottom bowl to access the screen. If you have the optional fuel filter before the carb, that should have captured most if not all the rust that got past the fuel pump and should be changed. Some carbs have another small screen in a capped chamber just after the fuel inlet port.

Posted on: 2021/10/19 20:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Gas Tank Renu is worth every penny and when my was done, it had a lifetime warranty.

They media blast the tank inside and out, then epoxy coat the tank inside and out and then bake it on.

Way more durable than the "pour" in style sealers.

Posted on: 2021/10/19 20:40
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I had my '49 tank done by a Renu guy in WVA and he did a poor job. So check out the places work before you commit. It was about $400 back then, 6-7 years ago. It's still sitting in the loft.
Best to go to a radiator shop and have them split in two, and clean/repair the inside then solder/weld it back together. They were pinch roll welded back then.
Since I'm building custom, I bought a new tank, and will use that if I ever bet back on this project.
The new tanks use a silicone steel that resists rust better than the old steel.

You'll need to flush the line(might be bad and needs replaced too) and the carb if no inline filter. Should be a fuel bowl on it that should catch particulate. If none, then carb has to be pulled and cleaned. I'd put one on it for next time.

Posted on: 2021/10/19 20:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
They will return the tank in like new condition.

Not quite like new as they cut the tank open to sand blast it inside, then weld the hole shut again. If there is a whistle in the breather, it will likely not work when done as the sealer plugs it. Taking it apart at the seam is a far better option if you can find someone to do it!

Posted on: 2021/10/19 23:41
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Josef Lichtenberg
See User information
on my clipper i have got the same problem. i removed the tank and filled it with 50 very sharp edged and pointed wood screws, then shook the tank extensively. removed all 50 screws. rinsed with water, then put rust converter in the tank. then rinsed again extensively with water. after drying, reinstalled and put back into use with a large petrol filter.i did not use any seal or paint. because i have no confidence that it will distribute evenly in the tank. i change the filter once a month. this has been working for 2 years now. the filters are very inexpensive and can be hidden well. everything looks original.
BR Josef

Posted on: 2021/10/23 14:35
Packard Super Clipper 1947
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I used the cleaner and sealer products from Hirsch many decades ago and when I recently drained the tank, the petrol still smelled like it should and was clean! It was not too flammable, of course, due its age but the sealer did its job.

Of course, it was a 1954 without the whistle. You didn’t say what year you were working on, if it’s the 1949 that your profile shows, it does have the whistle so care will be needed.

Posted on: 2021/10/23 18:49
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved