Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
56 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 56

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

lost VIN how to find
Just popping in
Just popping in

Pacjac
See User information
My Dads 56 clipper was repod in 57 or 58.my question is how can I find what that VIN was if I dont have any of his records? I want to find out if the car still exsists or scrapped or if still on the road how could I contact the current owner?

Posted on: 2021/10/20 15:17
 Top  Print   

Re: lost VIN how to find
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the vehicle number on the door pillar is gone then the only other place the number will be found is on the engine IF the engine is still the original. You can look at the photo to see where you should be looking. If the engine was swapped with another then there is no other place on the car to find the original number.

As far as I know there is no member keeping a database for Clippers and without a name of a previous owner or a number doubt it would be searchable anyway. There is an exceedingly slim chance that of the thousand or so records Owen_Dyneto has managed to collect on body ID or thief proof numbers over the years yours would be among them but you might send him a PM with the embossed number over the heater to see if it might be included in his records..

Most DMVs will not provide any information even with having all the numbers and a name and some like California completely drop information from their rolls if a certain period of no registration has passed.

Attach file:

jpg  serials.jpg (210.78 KB)
209_6170897862194.jpg 1920X923 px

Posted on: 2021/10/20 16:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Your best bet is to check with the dealer or the bank.
Like I said, those are your best bets.

Posted on: 2021/10/20 16:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The point is that he neither has the car nor the VN so nothing whatsoever to go by. More information, such as where it was repossessed from (city, state) which model of Clipper (Deluxe, Super, Custom), body style (2-door hardtop, 4-door sedan), color combination or any other details to help determine its current location would be needed.

Posted on: 2021/10/20 18:34
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Pacjac
See User information
ok guys my Dads car was located at Tinley Park Illinois in 1956 His name was Joseph Howard Payne, the address was 16649 Oak Park Avenue Tinley Park Illinois, other than that I have no furthur info so what or where do we go from here? Help!!

Posted on: 2021/10/21 1:07
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
It going to be near impossible to find that particular car without some kind of ID information. DMV won't have any records back that far, they would have all been paper and purged decades ago.

Also doubtful banks have those records anymore either. Without some original paperwork, or something positive to ID the vehicle there is really nowhere to start.

Even with a Vehicle Number it's still hard as we only are able to locate a vehicle when that number has been added to the Registry here, or via one of the PAC Roster Keepers.

Changes in privacy laws, mean that DMVs will no longer provide owner information on vehicles exists in their system.

So your only hope is to find some piece of paperwork that your family still has with that information. Also, not sure if Tinley Park required parking/vehicle tax stickers like the city of Chicago does, if so, the city may have a record of the vehicle recorded at that address. But once again, that's all before computer records where common. So records may have been purged a long time ago.

Posted on: 2021/10/21 7:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
Color combo, options, anything unique or unusual about the car? Last time you saw it? Did you ever see it locally after it was repo'd because banks typically sold these off to local car dealers back then.

As has been stated, without any VIN data, your quest is akin to looking for a needle in a haystack. My dad built a '32 Plymouth street rod in the early seventies with a 392 Hemi in it, sold it in 1978. I have numerous photos of it, it had a ton of unique features, and I hunted for that car for almost a decade before finding it in Indiana through advertising in the Good Guys club paper. Car is in Indiana, disassembled, guy won't sell it for anything.

I've tried finding some of my dad's older cars before, he had a lot of really interesting cars, never had any luck with it. If you don't have anything with a VIN on it or there wasn't anything especially unique about the car, I'm afraid your battle is going to be just about hopeless.

Posted on: 2021/10/21 13:27
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Pacjac
See User information
the last time I saw the car was as it was being towed away in like I said 57 or 58 my Dad standing in the driveway yelling at them colorfull descriptions of their posteriors and shaking his fist.. I never saw the beautiful Clipper again...I might try the City of Chicago as suggested, I just hope whoever wound up with it treated it with tender loving care and it just might be alive and well today... thanks guys for your suggestions I will keep trying...

Posted on: 2021/10/21 15:51
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved