Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 79

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1955 clipper super panama brake question??
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
On my cars, I ended up removing the flat cover (carefully, to save the gasket) and reorienting it 180 degrees for better access to the fill plug and opening.

If you had to re-orient it, then it was probably put together wrong during a former rebuild! A local San José, CA shop did that to mine once too and ever since I have rebuilt them myself.

Posted on: 2021/10/31 18:40
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

1955packardclipper
See User information
Found it. Haven't gotten to open it yet. I will this weekend, but doesn't look too bad. I appreciate all of the input! I'm sure I'll be asking more questions often.

Posted on: 2021/11/2 17:25
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

1955packardclipper
See User information
so, was able to finally get the res open and it was a little low, but nothing drastic. Issue now is, every time I put it in reverse, I have absolutely no brakes. They are still finicky in drive, about the same as before, but the no brakes in reverse is new. there is also a slight hissing sound that has gotten worse around the pedal. Sounds like it's time for a rebuild of the treadle vac? Should I try a bleed first in case I may have gotten air in it while filling? Wasn't that low I didn't think.

Posted on: 2022/3/7 20:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
On pretty much any collector car the cheapest part of the restoration is the brake system--and the money brings the biggest dividend. Like, not dying.

From the symptoms you described so far your Treadlevac needs rebuilding and you have some frozen pistons on your wheel cylinders. I encourage you to do a thorough inspection/overhaul of your brake system--bleeding is not going to fix it. All the parts for those brakes are readily available.

Posted on: 2022/3/8 6:26
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

1955packardclipper
See User information
Thank you, I am currently not driving it obviously since I found out about the reverse thing. Just wanted some troubleshooting advice before I just dove in and spent the money. Back working on it again now that it's getting warmer out. Thank you so much for the advice and insight.

Posted on: 2022/3/8 17:52
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved