Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
91 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

6 volt AC
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This subject has been discussed several times but here is another approach with a different compressor that might be worth looking into farther -- yes, I know it was done on a Nash but the concept is still applicable to Packards. The person who did the work is a new forum viewer with the forum name of AustinBrock.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMFV6Wfo1j0

As I believe has been mentioned several times, Sanden compressors will sometimes work on 6v and a few are using them on their 6v Packards but the caveat seems to be the generator needs to be adjusted slightly over spec with an output of around 7.5v. Less than that and the Sanden clutch does not seem to reliably pull in. The Advance Auto or Carquest T58551 copy of the Sanden compressor that was used in the Nash would appear to have more latitude.

The evaporator package and blower for a Packard is still a work in progress but in the Nash he used the blower that came on the aftermarket unit but running on 6v via a 6 to 12v converter. Using the single toggle switch to turn things on I believe he mentioned setting the output to equal about medium speed. That might be one way to go although I don't have all the details on the converter used and if it is capable of running the blower at max high speed where it will draw substantial current. Some of the converters are also very sensitive to motor use so it would need to be a motor rated unit. If that would not be practical, another thought on a new Packard install might be to use an original 6v Packard heater blower assy. The complete assys should be a relatively easy find. Use the original motor or buy one of the modern aftermarket PM motors which might draw a few less amps.

The evaporator would need to be one of the inexpensive non electronic under dash units that have 2 wire motors with speed control by resistors. Since there appears to be no dual shaft 6v motors available to just swap motors, to use the Packard assy you would need to remove the 12v double wheel blower setup and substitute the 6v Packard single wheel heater blower assy. This would require a new universal 6v rheostat switch or even just a simple on/off switch like he used on the Nash along with a bit of sheetmetal adaptation to the rear of the evaporator housing to mount the assembly and adapt the single blower output to the old double wheel configuration but I believe it could be done.

Posted on: 2021/10/27 11:28
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: 6 volt AC
Just popping in
Just popping in

AustinBrock
See User information
The step up converter I used is "DIGITEN DC 6V 5-11V to 12V 10A Step up Converter Regulator"
These are on Ebay and Amazon.
I decided to wire the fan speed on the middle speed not because of an amp problem, but because its more quiet, and I think it cools the air more efficiently. I believe the total amp draw of the fan motor and the clutch together to be just over 20 amps. Hope this helps!

Posted on: 2021/10/27 21:21
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Gday AustinBrock,
to PackardInfo.

In case you have a Packard/s, whether or not with A/C, I invite you to include it/them in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2021/10/27 21:32
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

AustinBrock
See User information
Unfortunately I dont have a Packard, only some parts! I like the late 40s Packards a lot, maybe one of these days I will own one!

Posted on: 2021/10/27 21:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
AustinBrock wrote:....I like the late 40s Packards a lot, maybe one of these days I will own one!

Here's hoping?

Posted on: 2021/10/27 21:53
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
HH56, thanks for posting this. I watched the video, it is very informative. Always a way around a problem, just have to figure it out!

Posted on: 2021/10/28 7:49
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved