Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: This auction is not very well listed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
We had a Caribbean in very similar condition in our yard at 76 Monroe years ago. A customer from Brazil saw it and bought it and restored it to the condition attached.

James, beautiful car but if this is the one you described, it isn’t a Caribbean! Still, great to know the history of how these cars ended up where they are and I was pleased to see a number of 1964-1966 Imperials too, a couple of which were listed incorrectly as Chrysler Imperial.

Posted on: 2021/11/5 11:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Finally, posted the pix.
Some of these @ $100 starting bid +22% is asking almost too much.
One of the members said he tried to buy a car off this guy a few years ago and he could not move all the other cars out the way to get to it, deal fell through.
I'm just the messenger here. Please refrain your comments about your assessment of the mental state of the owner. Story I got, he's very ill and son is liquidating. One of the member's father lives down the street, so there's more info out there I don't have.
My "guess" is he had a large building and the means to move old and abandoned vehicles and hauled them there. Much like a scrap yard, some they bring to you, some you go get, what you don't want you scrap. Some of these are very rare and hard to find, so takes some eye to see through the bones. There's not many opportunities left as this generation passes. They won't be in one spot either once they're sold - harder to locate.

Posted on: 2021/11/5 13:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I picked out two that I'll put out a flyer bid, and one that I might get a tad serious about. Problem is, it's just so damned far from me, and for what it is, I'm not investing in hiring a hauler.

We'll see, and it is what it is . . . .

Posted on: 2021/11/5 13:30
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Its kinda weird that most of these vehicles are missing their vin plates.

Posted on: 2021/11/5 13:46
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I must have missed the note that most were missing the VIN plate but I did see that the VIN plates could not be accessed on quite a few of them. As I understand it they were packed very tightly into the large, dark (unlit) building so I had presumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the plate simply could not be gotten to because of that. However, I did note that many have no titles which is a more serious problem.

Posted on: 2021/11/5 14:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Which brings a question to mind. I have a '41 Clipper which has a vin plate and a legit title. Do those items as is have any value? I'm going to part out the car - it's a rust bucket.

I'm guessing that 90% of the Abelove cars are for parts and not a lot else.

Posted on: 2021/11/5 14:23
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Maybe someone who collects such tags might have some value in them but in general, no, it I not legal to change VIN tags. As a licensed California VIN verifier myself, seeing replaced tags (even reproductions) automatically flags the vehicle for referral to the California Highway Patrol for further checking on its provenance.

Posted on: 2021/11/5 15:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The commissions those auction racketeers demand is indeed a joke. All that percentage and in bold print they flatly state they will do nothing to help the customer. That is the attitude you get from bottom of the heap personnel.

Some of that stuff is hilarious and some of it sad. How did they get the engine into the station sedan sideways? Why is the engine from the 39 Su8 sitting in a box next to an MG? That Triumph TR-4 is looks solid but has no title. The 41 Formal has 1986 New York registration and must be a victim of poor storage. A few of those Caribbeans don't look too bad, but where is the fender trim? And then there is the paperwork nightmare. Some Shifty Sam can probably solve that through the southern state title method. I suppose if the "bill of sale" is on State of New York stationary it would work out. I would at least contact the State Police and have them look at the situation. What if that Corvette is on some old police blotter?

I knew someone who had a Volkswagon with a New York State Police auction title sticker.

Posted on: 2021/11/5 16:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

MJG
See User information
I can get my head around the 22%. These cars are all non-op; moving them will cost a fortune. Many have no tires/rims etc. Now, if the contract is cost plus.. may be a different story but this is a month long effort to move them out.

The concern I would have is the timing. The cars are set to move out just in time for the snow to really fly there. The strict timeline may become a hot mess if the weather is bad. Plowing that entrance won't be cheap.

I would have waiting til spring. That would have allowed time to get them easier to move... find titles and tags (if they exist). Guessing the son wants out quick. Building also looks like it may be entering end of life and may be a catalyst for the timing. Many of the top frames have damage wonder if that is from a falling timbers and explains the hold harmless piece. Reminds me of an old glass mill I worked at in NJ. We had an old section that was being raised at the time and hadn't been occupied for decades. During WW2 it produced vacuum tubes for the military. Another engineer and I explored it (weren't supposed to). Old calendars in offices from the 60's and old machinists cabinets filled with glass lathe dies - all left and demoed with the building.

If I were closer, had more room, and not happily married I would pounce on a Caribbean or two.. definitely one of the '56s. Hope they find good homes..

Mike

Posted on: 2021/11/5 18:57
1948 Custom Eight Victoria Convertible
Others:
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Deluxe Convertible Coupe
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I would love to be a part of this, but the logistics just don't work. I'm all the way across the country, and the tight schedule of the auction and having to remove cars on your own is impossible for my situation.

If it were possible for me to participate, I would definitely pick up a few parts cars, or another project. A '56 400, a '41 or '41 120 or 160....one can dream.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/11/5 19:35
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved