Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

Re: Packard NO RESERVE auction
Home away from home
Home away from home

39Rollson
See User information
Great news Ross. First car from the auction that has been brought back to life. Hope you have rested up from your happy dance. Love to see it, any photos you want to share? We didn't get to see it since you bought before the auction.

Posted on: 2021/11/11 16:47
1954 Cavalier (export model)sold

1941 Clipper

1939 120 Rollson all weather cabriolet

George
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ross, I take it you didn't drag home 38 wayard Carribeans? Lol

Posted on: 2021/11/11 20:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Car 97, Caribbean convertible
5699.- ???? What number car is it?

What paint and trim code?
Looks like red, pink white?
Looks like a non Caribbean front seat.

Has a 55 hood and trunk lid.

Column shift, I don’t see the pushbutton wires on the fender, and they moved the windshield washer bottle like a non pushbutton car.

Posted on: 2021/11/11 22:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Car 108
56 Caribbean hardtop

What is going on with the dashboard?
Extra gauges, A/C switch, but not an A/C car?

Posted on: 2021/11/11 22:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Car 197
What is all over this car, oil?

Posted on: 2021/11/11 23:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Car number 41 looks like it has factory A/C?

Posted on: 2021/11/12 0:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Car #53 is a factory A/C car
5582-3904

Car # 26 is a factory A/C car
5682-4493

Posted on: 2021/11/12 0:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Good question and definitely no factory A/C!

Posted on: 2021/11/12 2:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Many of these cars are abandoned restorations. People got in over their heads, lost interest, or had a change of life and could not follow through. There are cars with rechromed pieces wrapped in eighties newspapers in the trunk. There are also many cars that were fixed up according to the norms of the of the seventies or eighties and then used til they got all tired out again. And there are also just plain used cars.

In many ways the collection is a record of people's involvement in the old car hobby over the years. So don't be surprised at combinations of options and components. Folks have been collecting and messing with Packards for a very long time with widely varied results.

Oh, and Kev, I didn't bring any Caribs home. And you can't make me!

Posted on: 2021/11/12 7:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
As to Lou Abelove, I know him, a very nice fellow and real car nut with very eclectic tastes. Pierce Arrows to Miatas. I met him about 10 or 12 years ago, he had interest in Franklins, I knew of a local '25 Franklin for sale, and I was interested in a 46'47 Super Clipper at the time and he has a ton of Packards as you can see. This sale will certainly flood the Packard project car market. He's actually been on here a few times I think, but I forget the name he used, I may have initially responded to a post that he made.

Utica is about 1 hr 45 min from me. Lou is/was an attorney and the Chief Counsel for Price Chopper grocery stores, a major Northeast grocery chain of about 200 stores. I met him at his office, with my car-loving 27 yr old son in tow, and he very kindly spent several hours with us, showing us his entire collection, housed in his huge turn of the century NY Mills warehouse, where most of the cars are, and a 5 story building in downtown Utica, the upper floors being absolutely stuffed full of probably thousands of parts most still in their unopened box from their eBay sellers. I see no mention in the auction of the huge parts lot. Much was NOS or new repro I believe. The biggest problem with selling the cars over the years is getting to them, as they are stuffed in very tightly and one would have to move them sequentially, as is being done here by the auctioneer.

The most interesting part is the genesis of this collection. He told me that years ago he had brought home his first vintage car, a '55? Cad I think it was, and his wife went absolutely beserk, and she forced him to eventually sell the car. So he decided then and there to collect cars surreptitiously. He had or bought the warehouses and proceeded to fill them up with cars and parts over the next years, in amazing quantities. He told us that he mainly wanted to preserve them from destruction, and realized that 80% of them were junkers or parts cars. I'd say that he succeeded admirably. He also mentioned that incredibly his wife still had no idea of any of it! He knew at the time, being by then in his 70s, that he had to do something with it all but he didn't have a clue what to do as he was concerned about his wife's reaction. His son did know about it, I believe that he's still a DA in another area of NY and may well be handling the auction.

So I'd be most curious to know what has finally sparked this auction. I don't know if Lou passed away or perhaps just decided it was finally time, come what may. He's a very nice guy and as I said true car nut in the best sense. I hope he's still around to realize some fruits of his prescience in saving these great cars. As you can see, besides Packards, he particularly loves Pierce, Cads, Imperials, Oldsmobiles and Brit sports cars. I for one Would love to be able to bid and win a white & blue '55 Olds convert that he had when we were there, but I'm afraid that at my age the collecting and restoring ship has sailed for good.

Posted on: 2021/11/12 12:03
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved