Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 111

Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Running rough at cold start
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
My 1949 has arrived, I was told by the previous owner it runs rough at a cold start then smooths out great after about 2 min. He was right! and the colder the temp the harder it shakes. I don't know where to start. It does the shimmy and shake, then remarkably smooths out just perfect. While its running rough I do have to keep the RPM's up otherwise it will die during the 2 to 3 min. What the heck would cause this?

Attach file:

jpg  79329645.jpg (200.57 KB)
224854_61884fcb480aa.jpg 900X675 px

Posted on: 2021/11/7 17:15
 Top  Print 

Re: Running rough at cold start
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Really sounds like an automatic choke issue to me

Posted on: 2021/11/8 7:17
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
The previous owner said he replaced the carb last year got from (Kanter). However the problem continues to exist. I do have lots of repair books for this vintage. I'll start reading. I do agree with the choke, also most like it opens up to fast maybe? It does fire up with only a few revolutions. So its getting good spark, and fuel. But wholly cow does it shimmy and shake for a few minutes.

Thank you for your thoughts
Dave O

Posted on: 2021/11/8 9:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...Certainly choke...perhaps also mixture and jet size could be involved. Also check to see if your points are nice and clean, perhaps a small manafold leak that closes up as the engine heats up...the old girl is trying to tell you something...you are listening...so you'll figure it out. You could ask Kanter and see if they have a suggestion. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2021/11/8 11:30
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Yes. All above are correct. But.... If wild choke settings for lean and rich don’t help And all secondary spark possibilities are eliminated - this sounds to me (vibration meaning one or two holes) like one or two cyls have very different requirements for cold start mixture from all others. This would indicate lean (vacuum leak) at manifold near the dead holes cold or very different compression on one or two compared to the rest. Good luck. Keep us posted on the root cause. Hope she was not sold for this issue. Someone else chased and could not rectify this?

Posted on: 2021/11/9 14:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Thank you all. I am leaning towards both, but first lets try choke and fuel. First I need to educate myself on the Sission choke, correspondingly the Carter WDO of which I know little about. I was instructed by the previous owner to just gently depress the pedal and it will start. He is right it will, but how to I engage the high idol during warm up? Do I push the pedal to the floor first?, then turn on the ignition and fire the engine,? it can't all be up to the Sission choke?

Dave O

Posted on: 2021/11/9 17:12
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sisson choke on a Packard? To my knowledge they were exclusively used on the Mopar L-head sixes and eights and Packard in that era was using the Carter Climatic. How about an illustration?

Posted on: 2021/11/9 18:17
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Too me, and based on what I've see with my car at one time, it was the cam and arm adjustment inside the Climatic module.

So the choke doesnt get reset correctly when cold.

I'd recommend you download the Serviceman's Training Manual for the Carter Carb and give it a read through.

Posted on: 2021/11/9 23:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
As usual you are correct Sir. Chrysler 6 DeSoto, Dodge, 1935 to 1948. All used them. And someone put one my new 1949 Super Eight. I recognized the wiring from the starter switch, and one wire to the battery right away. I just assumed Packard must have used these as well. I drove the car for the first time today 8 miles and put up for the winter at which time I will be delving into issues. I will take pictures of what I am finding and post them. I found today lots of bare wires. One even touching the fire wall. I disconnected my new $280 battery. Before I do anything it needs a wiring harness!

Thanks Dave

Posted on: 2021/11/10 16:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
I will do. Thank you soooo much

Dave O

Posted on: 2021/11/10 16:57
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved