Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 159

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Replacement foot starter switch
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

series014
See User information
I was trying to find a foot starter switch for a 1932 Packard. Since my original switch was missing, I used one from a tractor which actually bolted through the original holes in the floor board. It looked original from inside the car. Unfortunately, smoke came out of it after only 4 starts, and I couldn’t get the smoke to go back in! Does anyone know a good replacement floor switch which will handle the amperage needed to turn 385 cu in?? Thanks

Posted on: 2021/11/12 12:06
 Top  Print 

Re: Replacement foot starter switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm not aware of an appropriate replacement switch, but to put perspective on the switch rating you're going to need, the original specs for the Owen-Dyneto DN-952 starter motor are:

Cranking engine: 290-300 amps @ 3-3/4 volts

Locked torque: 650 amps.

Posted on: 2021/11/12 12:58
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here are Cole-Hersee offerings to replace some Delco or Autolite switches but unfortunately no specs. I don't know if there is a way to cross the original to an old catalog and get a mfg number but if you could that might narrow it down.

No idea how common the foot switches were on 12v but sounds like that or maybe a small 6v engine is what your failed switch was for.

Attach file:

jpg  switches.jpg (198.85 KB)
209_618eae150405a.jpg 1098X1880 px

Posted on: 2021/11/12 13:10
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

series014
See User information
I ordered the Cole-Hersee. They make floor switches for semi trucks. Thanks for the help.

Posted on: 2021/11/13 11:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
In the parts collection I was given with my 31, I am sure I came across a NAPA floor starter (for a 31) that was purchased around 1986, still new in the box. I'll look for it and drop some parts numbers for future reference.

Posted on: 2021/11/14 7:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Another option is to wire the floor switch to a starter relay hidden underneath the car. The only draw back is some voltage loss through the cables, but that shouldn't exceed that through the floor switch. I never took one of those switches apart, but given they don't seem to wear out, what is inside of them is superior to over the counter parts being sold today.

Posted on: 2021/11/14 8:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
The starter switch I have on my shelf is a Napa Echlin ST6. Looks like they're still available. Curiously, the switch cost $55 back in 1986 as charge receipt is still with it.

Posted on: 2021/11/26 12:21
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

series014
See User information
I used the Cole-Hersee 9060 from EBay. It is working great after a dozen starts. It did require the fabrication of an adapter plate to the floor but looks almost original.

Posted on: 2021/11/26 16:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Just for fun, I went on line to look for an Echlin ST6. Found it on EBay anywhere from $29 to $59. Then i went to Napa online and see its only $23.

Proving once again "Let the buyer beware".

Posted on: 2021/11/28 11:22
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The Napa ST6 looks identical to the Cole-Hersee 9060 which is apparently working satisfactorily. Since Napa sells other vendor labeled products under their own Echlin or Mileage Plus brands I would almost bet it is the same switch.

Posted on: 2021/11/28 12:05
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved