Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Hydraulic Widow help
Just popping in
Just popping in

LeighMotors
See User information
Trying to figure out the best way to get my hydraulic windows working.
I have been able to operate them from the switches when the (convertible top pump, replacement) is hot wired.
Not sure were to go from here-
Does power go to a relay so the pump can be activated when the window switch is activated?
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Posted on: 2021/11/16 21:07
 Top  Print 

Re: Hydraulic Widow help
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What year? Prewar operation is different from postwar and when you mention a replacement pump, what kind as some of the aftermarket top pumps may not have the pressure needed to operate the windows.

For a partial answer, on the original pumps there is a solenoid switch on the pump similar to a starter solenoid and operated by the window and top switches that turns on the pump. A solenoid valve at each window cylinder is also activated simultaneously by its window switch to allow fluid to only pass in or out of the selected window cylinder.

Prewar, there are two solenoid switches as the pump runs both in up or down operation to either supply pressure to raise or when lowering, runs the opposite direction to help suck the fluid out along with it being expelled by a spring pulling the window down. Postwar, there is only one solenoid switch as the pump runs only to raise the windows. When lowering, only the window solenoid valve opens so a large spring can pull the window down and send the fluid back to the reservoir.

Believe the prewar tops were vacuum operated but for the postwar top, the top control assy has an electrical switch section to operate the same solenoid switch used for the windows. Difference is the pump is used to supply pressure both when raising or lowering the top. Fluid is directed to the top or bottom of the top cylinders by the mechanically operated hydraulic directional valve portion of the top control switch assy. The windows are unaffected when moving the top because their solenoid valves do not open and fluid cannot get to the cylinders.

Posted on: 2021/11/16 21:32
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day LeighMotors, to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '54 Pacific in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2021/11/17 2:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
A picture of your pump set up would be a big help.

When a window switch is pushed up, it opens an electric valve on the hydraulic ram for that window. It also activates the solenoid located on the side of the pump and turns on the pump. The pump pressure forces the window up.

When a window switch is pushed down, it only activates the solenoid on the window ram and the window springs pull the window down.

I will see if I can find a wiring diagram and post it.

Posted on: 2021/11/17 15:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I realize my mind is not what it used to be but I could swear there was at least one more page to this thread along with some photos of the replacement pump and results or descriptions of what was happening when the pump was hotwired.

Unless it was all an old age induced hallucination I think I answered on Sunday with more photos and a couple of suggestions on possibilities of how to get the incorrect 55-6 pump to work in the 54. If those posts were not deleted on purpose then something must have happened on the server.

If suggestions are still needed I could repost. The electrical part in making the pump work with the existing switches is not too difficult but having the extra fluid capacity needed for the 54 windows might be -- although I think it could be done with an extra reservoir but maybe not with that style pump mounted vertically in the current original pump location.

Posted on: 2021/11/23 11:24
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Well, HH it's in the post war forum, so I suspect it might be post war, and not pre-war. Unless it was moved based on your response. I don't do the pre-war.

I was gone since Fri, so I don't know if you're hallucinating or not... A good lacquer paint job inhaling thinner will due wonders for that. It's possible he editted it unknowingly.

These partial posts are annoying, however, as there's no way anyone except a clairvoyant could rightly answer, without the simple facts, year, make, model. The rest of us are learning things, too.
I see the same thing on other forums, so It's human in the rush thing I guess. Take a deep breath, put down all the pertinent info, folks.

Posted on: 2021/11/23 11:48
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I hear you on the paint thinner but wasn't even around any good stuff to bring on the hallucinations. As I remember, on the missing pages others had also asked for a photo and he posted some replies. One was the pump mounted and another was some paperwork from Hydro-E-Lectric on the pump which identified it as the type used in a 55-6 Caribbean. Later on after some questions he posted another with a description of some observations where it was obvious the primary reason it wouldn't be suitable for windows as is was because there was no reservoir for the extra fluid capacity needed for the window cylinders. Electrically, to operate the pump it will be a simple matter of adding a power relay to the original switch and pump wiring to provide power to the pump. Adding the fluid capacity is what will require some ingenuity.

Posted on: 2021/11/23 13:12
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I also saw the missing pages and there are some also missing from Packard Newbies thread on the flooding in BC

Posted on: 2021/11/23 13:58
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved