Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 110

kevinpackard, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Paint work
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I sprayed epoxy high build primer on and sanded it down with 220. I went through a couple spots to bare metal so I was going to spray a non sanding epoxy primer on next and then paint . I was wondering if I need to sand with a finer sand paper before applying the non sanding epoxy Primer.

Posted on: 2021/11/22 17:37
 Top  Print 

Re: Paint work
Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
Not in my experience. The non-sand usually fills in any thing left by a 220.

Posted on: 2021/11/22 21:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
Honestly, I've never understood the need for the non-sanding primer over primer that's already been sanded and smoothed. Painted cars for about fifteen years when I was younger, we never did that then. Prime it, block it (220 or 400 is about as low as you want to go, after that you're really just polishing the primer), then paint it. I've seen cars we painted forty years ago that still look good with just a basic priming, sanding, and straight up enamel paint job.

Posted on: 2021/11/23 8:47
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

GaryinSC
See User information
I would not switch to non-sanding on those spots, stay with the base primer you already used, or re-spray the car with non-sanding. Mixing primers under finished paint is not a good idea, especially with the overall costs for finish paint these days.

Posted on: 2021/11/23 9:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
Quote:

GaryinSC wrote:
I would not switch to non-sanding on those spots, stay with the base primer you already used, or re-spray the car with non-sanding. Mixing primers under finished paint is not a good idea, especially with the overall costs for finish paint these days.
I guess I do not understand are you saying strip off all the old high build primer off and respray with non sanding primer. That seems like a ton of work. I am concerned that if i use the high build primer to cover the bare spots I may sand through again here and there because there are so many angles the tech sheet says the high build primer must be sanded before the top coat can be applied. And you cant put paint over bare metal thats what the tech sheet says

Posted on: 2021/11/23 19:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Gary,

I have used his products and guideline to paint my 1931.

https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/perfectpaintjob

When you call in with questions you actually will be talking to the owner Barry. Very pleasant guy to talk to.

Posted on: 2021/11/24 12:31
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

GaryinSC
See User information
Yes I agree if you use a certain system, then stay with that system. If I use high build then I stay with high build all the way. If you scuff through it, then you have a high spot and need to build a bit more. I only use non-sanding when doing a repair over existing paint. I just don't like mixing primer types especially on a total repaint, use one or the other. I usually block it wet with 400, wipe with preps and tack rag twice. This works for me but other guys have success with other methods I am pretty old school and cut my teeth on lacquer and Dupont 100S.

Posted on: 2021/11/24 13:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
thanks for all the replys . I have painted alot of things but this is the first time i used this primer and I dont like it at all.

Posted on: 2021/11/24 16:35
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved