Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
32 user(s) are online (21 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 32

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Generator Removal '34 Eight
Just popping in
Just popping in

'34 Rookie
See User information
On my '34 eight I have to remove the generator. Is it save to start the engine without generator?

Posted on: 2021/11/24 4:25
 Top  Print   

Re: Generator Removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day '34 Rookie,
to PackardInfo.

I doubt it's a good idea to start and run your '34 Packard with the generator removed. I think, although I could be wrong, that the generator is driven by the timing chain and is a link in the timing chains structural integrity. If you are removing the generator you have to be VERY careful in it's removal. There are parts(somebody will give a much better/clearer explanation) that could fall into the timing case/sump if you're not careful.

After all that, I invite you to include your '34 Eight in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2021/11/24 5:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As you slide the generator rearwards to remove, make absolutely certain the brass (or is it bronze?) adapter between the generator flange and the timing chain cover stays snugly in place!!! This will retain the timing chain drive in place.

NO, don't run the engine with the generator removed.

Posted on: 2021/11/24 8:40
 Top  Print   

Re: Generator Removal '34 Eight
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Yes you can run the motor provided you have secured the bronze gear quill with a washer pack and the generator nuts. Don't forget to take the slack out of the chain before tightening down the plate.

However, I don't think that's a great idea because the generator shaft provides a level of axial stability. The quill holds the gear from falling with the generator out. With the generator out you can inspect the depth of the quill that holds the gear. It's been a long time, but I know I've seen those motors run without the generator as in cars that are partially assembled.

Brass: An alloy of copper and zinc.

Bronze: An alloy of copper and tin

Posted on: 2021/11/24 16:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Have several washers on hand so that when you separate the generator from the adaptor (that needs to stay in place) you can place on the mounting studs and reapply the nuts so the adaptor stays put. I wouldn't even think about running the engine for fear of fouling the timing works and having to rip the front end of the car off to replace it all.

Posted on: 2021/11/25 7:49
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

'34 Rookie
See User information
Thanks for all the information. I guess I will have to tow the car then.

Posted on: 2021/11/29 2:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Guntram('34 Rookie), for including your '34 Eight Sedan in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2021/11/29 3:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
That's the right answer. Don't even THINK about cranking that car without the generator in place - you will end up pulling the entire front of your car apart to disassemble the front of the motor and get the timing put back right, definitely not worth it.

Posted on: 2021/11/29 10:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The parts book shows part number 115275 "motor generator sprocket support". If you take that out with the generator the gear falls out of place.

So what happens when one of those 12 volt conversion guys hangs a modern generator on the motor?

Maybe somewhere on junktube there is a video of one of those motors running without the generator in it.

Posted on: 2021/11/29 16:09
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved