Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 101

Packard Don, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

22nd series fuel tanks
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

W. Fred Rump
See User information
I suspect they are the same across the line. Has anybody found replacement tanks for these cars? Sources?

Posted on: 2021/11/24 14:00
1937 Packard Super Eight Convertible, model 1502 in Blue
1948 Packard Super Eight Victoria Convertible 22nd series - Maroon, Body 2279
1949 Packard Super Eight Victoria Convertible 22nd series - green
1949 Packard Super Eight Victoria Convertible 22nd series - black
1949 Oldsmobile
1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible Coupe
1993 Bentley Brooklands Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: 22nd series fuel tanks
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
They are not all the same across the 22nd series line, 3 different tanks were used - check the parts list for specifics.

I'm not aware of a source for reproductions.

Posted on: 2021/11/24 14:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I sold an excellent used one a while back but no one was actually able to identify it for me. The buyer knew it was the proper size but was unsure of the filler or vent connections. I tried to research it here but with only part numbers, nothing indicates the differences! Would be nice if those with these cars where the tank is out could post good photos, dimensions and the year and model it came from so that we can create a chart or some sort to help identify them.

Posted on: 2021/11/24 15:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Kanter threatened to repro a couple years back, but I never did see any more on it. I know the one for the coupe is hen's teeth. Nothing fits either. I must have looked a ~thousand tank pictures and dimensions. You can either have one made or retrofit one yourself. The smaller tank is same size as some years of the mustang or elcamino. Pin free TIG welds required on thin silicone steel, so don't attempt if you're not TIGy. With the right cut out, you can silver solder the joints but they can leak too.

Posted on: 2021/11/25 9:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I have a tank out, and another still in the frame - the one with no body. I can measure those when I'm next around them.

One is a '47 super sedan and the other is a '47 custom. Wat will be willing to wager they're all but identical.

Posted on: 2021/11/26 5:56
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
I'm looking for a fuel tank for a 48, where do I look?

Posted on: 2022/1/27 14:38
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
As Owen said, there are three different tanks 1948-50:

Eight -- 17 gal.

Super Eight and Custom Eight -- 20 gal.

Commercial vehicles -- 20 gal. (I think), but different than Super/Custom.

1948-50 tanks are different from 1941 Clipper to 1947s.

Posted on: 2022/1/27 14:51
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And as far as I know, no tanks for anything earlier than 1951 were ever reproduced so your best bet for something original is identify which tank you need and then see if anyone has a good used tank for sale. Even good used may require some work to be serviceable.

There are one or two places that will custom make a stainless steel tank but photos posted show those do not look original and are somewhat expensive -- but if all else fails, could be an option. Another poster has managed to adapt a repro tank made for a 53 Chevy but it did require some fabrication work to make everything fit. You can read thru some of his project blog to get more details on what work was needed.
https://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2251&p=26623&hilit=chevy+fuel+tank#p26623

If you do not have any tank at all then options are limited but if you do have a tank -- unless it is a total rust piece -- it can possibly be repaired and restored to almost like new condition by undergoing the Renu process. Businesses affiliated with Gas Tank Renu are located in several states.https://www.gastankrenu.com

Posted on: 2022/1/27 15:20
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Tanks, Inc. may be able to find or make something to fit.

Posted on: 2022/1/28 13:19
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved