Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 162

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

When was your first? (New guy from Phoenix,AZ)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ryan Messner
See User information
Just thought I would post for once instead of just reading.

My Name is Ryan Messner, from Phoenix,AZ.

I got in to cars just by chance. My father bought a '66 Mustang in high school (mid 70's), when his brother and him were driving off the lot the sales man told him it would be a classic some day. They just laughed and drove off. My father kept the car until a turn of events left me with out a car when I was 16. He tossed me the keys and that was the start of it all.

Now how I found out about Packards.

About 3 years after all that happened I was driving up the back way to Prescott,AZ (89A) with a handful of friends and saw a used car lot with a tone of neat cars. I stopped in and was looking around. There was Fords, Chevys, a Dodge or 2, and then off in the corner there was this long lean car tucked in the corner. Walking up on it, it was like nothing I have ever seen. Push button shifting, beautiful dash, great body lines, amazing tail lights that swooped back came to a point at the top. It looked like it was customized, even had one of those Caddy air cleaners. I had to know what it was. Upon further inspection I saw the 7 letters along the side P A C K A R D?
The first thought just like every one who saw one for the first time. Who the hell makes Packard? Must be a Ford, or Chevy, maybe one of those strange Mopar cars. I came home that Sunday and hopped on the computer and started reading. I was hooked, the stories, the history, the innovation and all the "First".
It wasn't till about 2 years later that I saw a add in the paper that said "56 packard $1000, 55 packard $800, 50 packard $1800 and a phone number." I called up my friend Levi that was with me on that first day and off we went. He was ready to bring one home. We walked in the lot and there was a row of Packards. We found the one for $800 and looked it up and down. Levi was set. I turned around and it was love at first site. I just turned to the guy and said I want this one. 1950, Standard 8, Black, 2 door, 288 with a 3 speed. I looked at the interior and it had half seats? One driver and one right behind it. I was told by the owner that it came from a Funeral home and was used as a flower car. It gets a little hot in phoenix, so I don't think they wanted the flowers to spontaneously combust on the way to the cemetery. We proceeded to the bank to pay the man.

That following weekend I was unable to get the car. Another week or so passed and still no truck or trailer. Finally I was able to find a trailer to use and I said "come hell or high water I am going to get the car" that weekend.
Getting the trailer was a challenge as it always is when using other peoples stuff. The ball was the wrong size and the plug for the lights did fit what was on the Suburban, of course. On the way back from the parts store it started to rain. Got back to the trailer and changed out the ball and low and behold when I was working on trailer lights It started to hail. Not the little pee size either it was enough that I swore I was going to look like i got hit by 12 gauge. We just looked at each other and said what the hell. We hit the road and picked up the help, when pulling up to the owners house I never even thought about where the cars were stored. The owner opened the gate and it took me back to my childhood days of making mud pies. It was a dirt lot that was flooded from water and hail it received for the past hour or 2. So the group of boys and I hopped in and proceed to push the car out of the muddy lot slipping and sliding the whole way out to the street. A good running start and a few strong boys it flew up on the trailer. Even with the front sticking over the tong we couldn't get the ramps back up.

One down and one to go. We dropped the '55 off at Levi's house 35 miles north and proceeded back to grab mine. Same deal trudging through the mud to get it on the street for loading. Once it was up there I thought I would be nice and treat the group to a nice hot meal at the local 5 and Diner.

I will have that picture in my head for the rest of my days looking out the window of the diner seeing the '50 up on the trailer with the glow of the neon hitting the water on the car and all around on the ground.

Thanks for reading....

~Ryan~

Attach file:

jpg  (46.30 KB)
998_49cfcc814b921.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/3/29 14:31
 Top  Print   

Re: When was your first? (New guy from Phoenix,AZ)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Ryan,
to PackardInfo. Great story, your commitment to getting the Packards is commendable. Mine isn't anywhere near as dramatic and here's a link to my PackardInfo Project Blog which explains my Packard journeyhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=319&forum=10

What's happening with the '50 now? And don't forget to include it in the Owner Registry together with a pic please?

BTW - Does your mate Levi still have the '55? If so, see if he'll join PackardInfo too, and add in the '55 to the Owner Registry?

Posted on: 2009/3/29 14:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Thanks for the trip down memory lane Ryan. It is always fun hearing stories between the technical posts and restoration blogs. Hope to see more pics of your '50, and like Mal says, please add your car to the registry.

Posted on: 2009/3/29 16:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Ryan, thanks for posting instead of just reading. I enjoyed your story and I like the fastback styling. AZ has a few Packard nuts who post on here. to the best Packard forum and I hope you will post again.

Posted on: 2009/3/29 22:44
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Great story. I know several folks here that have great "recovery" stories. It's funny how the adventure begins before you even get it home.

Posted on: 2009/3/29 22:52
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Thanks for the story Ryan. Reminds me of when me and my buddies "rescued' a 1940 Chevy while in high school (back in the 70's). We had a tow bar and my '68 Rambler. Rambler lost it's brakes on the 25 mile drive home. That's exciting.

What are your plans for your Packard? Driver, restore? One thing's for sure. You won't see another one like on cruise nights.

Thanks for sharing.

Posted on: 2009/3/30 11:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
i was at a tiny car show with my friend showing his 54 henney junior, and overheard a guy telling his friend that a local police department was trying to unload a 50s packard cop car. i left the show early and started hunting. the department he mentioned had traded the car years ago, but the department they traded it to was happy to see it go to a good home. my pair of 55s were also found completely by chance. My dad is an avid hocky player, and one day, a guy who usually doesnt play came in, and at some point asked my dad how my 66 dodge dart (now sold) was coming along. dad said it was sold, but i now had a 56 packard and was looking for parts. he said that his father in law just so happened to have 2 55s he wanted to sell cheap. pure luck.

sorry if that was a bit long, but its so nice to relive good memories!

Posted on: 2009/3/30 12:49
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ryan Messner
See User information
Yep Levi still has it. He is still in the tare down process. But will be on the road some day. I will make sure he gets on here and post.

The '50 is just my weekend cruiser. I am working on getting it restored but I enjoy driving it in the mean time. I also a 56 executive that needs put together and I am building a 27 roadster, all different parts but Packard powered.(couldnt afford/ find a 27 Packard roadster.)

~Ryan~

Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
G'day Ryan,
to PackardInfo. Great story, your commitment to getting the Packards is commendable. Mine isn't anywhere near as dramatic and here's a link to my PackardInfo Project Blog which explains my Packard journeyhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=319&forum=10

What's happening with the '50 now? And don't forget to include it in the Owner Registry together with a pic please?

BTW - Does your mate Levi still have the '55? If so, see if he'll join PackardInfo too, and add in the '55 to the Owner Registry?

Posted on: 2009/4/1 16:07
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ryan Messner
See User information
Here is a few pics that my Uncle shot in down town Phoenix a few nights back.

www.jamespattisonphotography.com

~Ryan~

Attach file:

jpg  (91.46 KB)
998_49d3d98b560f6.jpg 800X531 px

jpg  (44.44 KB)
998_49d3d998271ff.jpg 800X533 px

jpg  (51.29 KB)
998_49d3d9a76a16b.jpg 800X533 px

jpg  (70.13 KB)
998_49d3d9b4919a5.jpg 800X533 px

Posted on: 2009/4/1 16:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Ryan,
for including the '50 in the Owner Registry.

Posted on: 2009/4/1 16:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved