Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 148

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1949 serial number locations
Just popping in
Just popping in

Rocken
See User information
Hi everyone, I am trying to help a gentleman get his 49 Packard registered. He recently moved to Nebraska from New York. the tag with the serial # or Vehicle # was missing, so he had one made from somewhere in Texas to match what was on the NY paperwork. Unfortunately, the Nebraska DMV will not accept that. My question is, is there another place that the # would be, such as somewhere on the frame, or elsewhere on the body?
There is a process that we may be able to use, but it is a pain to do so.
Thanks for any help!

Posted on: 2021/12/2 19:20
 Top  Print 

Re: 1949 serial number locations
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Hi Rocken, welcome to PackardInfo.com.

Quote:
...is there another place that the # would be...

-> This way, please.

Edit: Uuh, it looks as if I was too fast and confused by the headline of the linked thread "Vin Tag Info".

Posted on: 2021/12/2 19:41
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Unfortunately, Packard did not put the number anywhere else although I'm not too familiar with that era. On the '55 and '56 models, it matches the engine number as long as it is the original engine but the earlier ones did not do that. If you know the number, it can be stamped on a reproduction plate (don't engrave them!) but I know that for me as a VIN verifier in my own state, a new plate is a red flag. The build slip, if it's there, will tell you the number but won't replace the needed plate.

Posted on: 2021/12/2 19:43
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Rocken
See User information
Thanks for the info. He did have a new plate made, but the DMV didn't go for it. I have a contact person at the DMV that I will call tomorrow and see what we can do. Thanks again!

Posted on: 2021/12/2 20:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
PackardDon wrote:....The build slip, if it's there, will tell you the number but won't replace the needed plate.

The "build slip" mentioned by Don MIGHT be found above/behind the glove box or wedged between the gas filler pipe and the body. Or others might be able to suggest other places it MIGHT be. If you do find the "build slip" be very careful in handling it as it will be VERY fragile, like me, being over 70 years old.

Posted on: 2021/12/2 21:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Not the way to go.
Better to fess up, label was missing, than fudge a new one. aka: deception under the law.

They don't follow the VIN #'s of today. If it's been titled in another state, then they probably will have to inspect the vehicle. That depends on the state DMV. Different everywhere.
There's an "anti-theft" number embossed on the firewall but that's not the VIN, per se.
There should be some administrative way to handle this, so talk to the NE DMV. 50 state, 50 rules.

Posted on: 2021/12/3 9:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
some states will title on the engine number

Posted on: 2021/12/3 10:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
They accepted my Briggs body tag number on my 1946 Packard.

Posted on: 2021/12/3 14:00
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Rocken
See User information
Talked to the DMV today. They said he will have to get a tag from New York, probably a state issued. New York has already told him that to do that, he will have to take the car to NY for that. Long way to go for something that should have been corrected before the move!
Thanks for all your help!

Posted on: 2021/12/3 20:30
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

point
See User information
sounds like u have no proof of ownership if u had a registration card showing u had lisc plates on the car, that would show ownership, and Ne.would have to title it,being from a non title state
That is what that auction in N.Y. called transferable paper work , very few cars there had titles or transferable paper work, i bought a packard in Connecticut
a non title state, but i had a old registration card no problem, as far as a new vin plate, has nothing do with it,doesnt show ownership i put new vin tags on all my cars , they look good,u put on the vin plate whats on the title

Posted on: 2021/12/4 1:14
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved