Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
33 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 30

Don Shields, Ernie Vitucci, CCR, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1948 288 cu in. Transmission and overdrive oil
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packwagon
See User information
What weight oil should I use for transmission and overdrive. How much oil is the correct amount.

Posted on: 2021/12/4 0:43
 Top  Print 

Re: 1948 288 cu in. Transmission and overdrive oil
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Many of us have had totally satisfactory results with 85W-140 GL-1 gear oil. Correct level is when the oil is at the hole about mid-way up on the transmission and overdrive cases. The holes have a ⅜" NPT plug with a square head, like the drain plugs.

Posted on: 2021/12/7 12:50
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In 48 it is possible you have the R9 or the mid year replacement R11 unit. You didn't mention which unit you have but I believe the procedure and lube recommendations is the same for both.

In addition to the lube recommendation JWL mentions, here is a bit from one of the service manuals on the fill and subsequent checking procedure. The plugged fill holes on the trans and OD units are at slightly different heights. If you don't follow the recommendations, then after a period of service when it is time for the check oil will appear to be low in one unit and overfilled and will run out the opened hole in the other.

Attach file:

jpeg  OD lube.jpeg (139.26 KB)
209_61afb1e05643d.jpeg 750X1280 px

Posted on: 2021/12/7 14:11
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Packwagon

I found the capacity information is in the tune-up manual (likely others); it is 2 pints for the transmission, and 1.25 pints for the overdrive.

dp

Posted on: 2021/12/7 15:57
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved