Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
32 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 31

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 11 »

Re: PackardDon's 1956 Clipper Custom Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have only a 3’ pry bar (it may be closer to 4’) and no other need for a longer one. I’m concerned that prying too hard against the head or block may break one or the other and I definitely don’t want that to happen!

Posted on: 2022/1/23 19:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
To abruptly change the subject as I'm planning a trip to the shop, are there differences between the 1954 TreadleVac unit (including the master itself) and that for 1956? I have what I think is an earlier core so not sure which kit to use. The supplier I use lists it by year with a different number for the V8 cars but makes no hint as to what is different.

Also, I have the heavy felt pads that go on the pedal shaft and will soon have rubber edges for the atmospheric air filter cover that are not included with the kits. These are rarely re-usable so not sure why the kits do not include them!

Posted on: 2022/1/25 18:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Check out this old post. The number of the BTV should be stamped in the potmetal at the round end of the hydraulic portion. More info is found with the link in the 4th post on that page.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6873&post_id=74094#forumpost74094

Posted on: 2022/1/25 19:04
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you, Howard! I know that 1952 is different as it has an external atmospheric filter so easy to tell apart but the others look so much alike. I'm glad to learn that they are marked!

I'm fairly sure that the one in my Clipper has never been touched (the car has low mileage and has been parked for many decades) so is probably the best candidate to rebuild but now I can also check what the spare one is! I suspect it is 1953-1954 and now I can be sure.

Posted on: 2022/1/25 19:22
 Top  Print 

Re: PackardDon
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I’ve been at my shop since Monday getting the strand board put up on the walls.

In the meantime, I’ve not had a chance to get back to any work on the Clipper, especially the distributor, but I did have a look at the voltage regulator. Those I’ve seen online with the proper Auto-Lite number have all three terminals on one side while the one in my car has the BAT connector on the other side. Does that mean that it is a replacement?

Attach file:

jpeg  A5C359DD-90DB-4DD5-BA23-942A7C2ECFDF.jpeg (265.18 KB)
60923_6221a2ce1d13a.jpeg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/3/4 0:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Stock 55 and 56 regulators, both Autolite and Delco, had all terminals on the same side. The wire on yours looks like it might have even been extended to reach that lone terminal so a replacement.

Don't remember seeing any info on exactly when it started or which models but Packard issued a terminal protector which was a rubber box channel for the regulator terminals. The way one (probably Delco) or maybe both of the regulators is positioned terminals are very vulnerable to having a tool laid on the radiator cradle and accidentally shorting over.

Here is what the SM shows and also a drawing with dimensions of the terminal cover. Don't remember who was kind enough to measure his and post that info.

EDIT: I have been advised that Owen_Dyneto was the individual kind enough to provide the drawing and dimensions for the voltage regulator terminal cover. Many thanks to him.

Attach file:

jpg  regulator.jpg (143.75 KB)
209_6221aae09a60e.jpg 1588X810 px

jpg  Voltage regulator cover.jpg (123.72 KB)
209_6221accf53adf.jpg 820X833 px

Posted on: 2022/3/4 1:03
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The wire does look extended in the photo but I had looked at it specifically on the car and it’s not so obvious. Apparently they did a good job of extending! This car shows little sign of anything other than maintenance but something like the regulator would likely be a part of that and likely more than once. This car has sat since probably the late ‘60s or early ‘70s.

The radiator cradle seems an odd place for the voltage regulator but it is certainly closer to the generator itself. Had it been on the driver side firewall, it would have been rather far. In any event, the rubber protector for the terminals makes sense!

Posted on: 2022/3/4 1:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Still no joy in getting the distributor out, however, it does move up and down very slightly. It feels like it hits something solid when lifted up rather than what I would expect if it were just build-up on the lower guide flange. I've tried to work P-Blaster down into it (fortunately I have a case of it) but it doesn't seem to help.

Unfortunately I am working in a rather confined area with the hood still attached and have access primarily from one side only. so I can't get a slide-hammer onto it.

We have light snow here today but I'll be heading out shortly to try again although I have a contractor working on the building who keeps needing what's left of my muscles in getting up the strand board so not sure how much I'll get done.

Posted on: 2022/3/9 14:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It appears that I'll need to pull the pan (which I need to do anyway) to see what's going on so I lifted the front up onto stands today and climbed underneath. With just a quick look, it seems that removing the pan means letting the suspension hang and possibly loosening the exhaust so it may be a job for the lift rather than on the ground.

Posted on: 2022/3/9 21:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Don...This is most likely a dumb question, but is there a second clamp on that distributor? I'm not a Packard V8 guy, so I'm sort of thinking out loud. Perhaps Owen will see this and respond. Ernie

Posted on: 2022/3/10 10:17
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved