Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
45 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 44

Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 13 »

Re: PackardDon's 1956 Clipper Custom Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Believe it or not, this question is related to this car and I’ll explain later. In the meantime, does anyone know of instructions or diagrams for disassembling a hydraulic power window cylinder? I’ve searched and found only general diagrams of the hydraulic system but surely there is something more detailed.

Posted on: 2022/8/30 20:13
 Top  Print   

Re: PackardDon
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The hydraulic window cylinders were throw away items so I doubt you will find any instructions on repairing them. I can say the bottom of the cylinder is crimped around a plate the solenoid and valve mechanism is attached to. Above and part of the solenoid and valve is another plate where the fluid exits the valve. That second plate has an O ring or gasket arrangement around the edge that slides in the cylinder and makes the seal between the electrical part and the piston chamber.

Attach file:

jpg  solenoid.jpg (14.19 KB)
209_630ec120823bc.jpg 376X516 px

Posted on: 2022/8/30 21:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Howard, thank you but I don’t want to repair it. I want simply disassemble it to extract the coil.

Posted on: 2022/8/30 21:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As I said, the bottom of the cylinder is crimped over the solenoid assy. If you gently open the crimp you can pull the solenoid assy shown in the other post all the way out. The piston and rod should then be able to be pulled out. As to whether anything can be accessed or repaired if the top rod seal has failed is a question. If the inside of the cylinder is rough or rusted then you might be able to hone it but how well it would work and seal to the piston is anyones guess.

The drawing is a generic from a Motors Manual. The cylinder is a repro from Hydro E Lectric from many years ago. I think they still have a similar design but the hose connection doesn't look quite the same as the original and as I recall the factory cylinder has a tighter more rolled over crimp.

Attach file:

jpeg  cylinder.jpeg (40.50 KB)
209_630ec9811c3e1.jpeg 323X611 px

jpeg  IMG_2577.jpeg (63.27 KB)
209_630ec98f8e597.jpeg 898X876 px

Posted on: 2022/8/30 21:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you. I already have the solenoid assembly loose and in-hand and want to take it apart to remove the coil without destroying it in the process.

I can't find it at the moment but one of the shop manuals or service counselors says to use the coil to heat up the rear door lock buttons for removal. Yes, I have other ways of heating them but I want to try it the way Packard suggests first.

Posted on: 2022/8/30 22:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information

Posted on: 2022/8/30 22:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That's it but how do I disassemble it to get the coil?

Posted on: 2022/8/30 22:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't have one to look at but maybe you could post a good photo or two of the one you have out. Any chance the top plate with the O ring unscrews or maybe the bottom end with the fitting? The article mentions putting the spark plug adapter in an opening and doesn't say anything about needing to saw or break something off so I would take that to mean it does come apart.

Posted on: 2022/8/30 22:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Howard, thank you again. I could probably figure out myself how to get it apart once I’m at my shop but I would prefer to tackle it pre-armed with some details. I’m typically there for only a short time and don’t like to waste too much of it unnecessarily when there is so much to do so having an exploded view or some other specific information would help.

Posted on: 2022/8/31 2:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I managed to get a good used windshield so now the seller is trying to get it to me in one piece. Not using a common carrier such as UPS or FedEx but rather a private carrier that will, I hope, pamper it until it arrives. I missed a truck heading my way yesterday when we couldn’t figure out the logistics as I’m currently over 600 miles away and they need payment on arrival.

Attach file:

jpeg  30921DB3-D3F0-460B-AD96-FBE11769AB6A.jpeg (58.00 KB)
60923_631a47150608b.jpeg 2048X787 px

Posted on: 2022/9/8 14:47
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 13 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved