Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 100

29tons, indhd20s, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What is this engine part?
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
This is probably a very simple question, but what is this on my V8? I didn't see anything about it in the literature. It appears to contain oil and drain into the intake manifold.

My understanding is that the vented cap next to it is the oil filler cap, so I'm a bit lost as to the purpose of this.

Thanks

Attach file:

png  unknown[3].png (412.67 KB)
225076_61b6375d1e0a2.png 765X271 px

Posted on: 2021/12/12 12:55
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Re: What is this engine part?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It's the oil filter canister with a replaceable element inside. On cars with factory A/C, the compressor is there and the filter is on the other side.

Posted on: 2021/12/12 12:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Filter was also optional on some Clipper models so not all will have one. It does not drain into the intake manifold but into a port in the block just in front of the manifold next to the filler tube opening. Filtered oil will drop into the engine interior and eventually work its way down into the crankcase.

Posted on: 2021/12/12 12:59
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Thanks guys, to be honest I didn't really notice the other line running to it. Hence a significant portion of my confusion.

Is it normal for the oil to not drain out of it all the way when the car is parked? It was probably about 1/3 full.

Posted on: 2021/12/12 19:00
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, normal. That's to allow a space for the filtered sludge to accumulate. Use a suction gun to remove it prior to installing a new element. If you use a cloth to wipe it clean, make certain it's a lint-free one.

Posted on: 2021/12/12 19:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Humanpotatohybris

Think along the lines of a turkey baster . . . I’ve been using those for years, but somewhere along the way the glass tube became plastic, so I can’t get all that chemically aggressive when I clean it for the next use. A couple of cut off one gallon milk jugs make convenient locations to deal with the filter, and then the excess oil in the bottom of the filter housing. There are filter housings that have a 1/8 pipe plug near the bottom to drain the housing, but unless it’s in a convenient place you might make a bigger mess than using the baster.

No I don’t borrow my wife’s kitchen utensils, and strongly suggest you equally refrain . . . that would surely get both of us in trouble.

dp

Posted on: 2021/12/12 20:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I bought an expensive had pump designed to move oils which did the trick nicely on my 1954. It pumped out the oil directly into a jug.

Posted on: 2021/12/12 20:55
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved