Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Carter WDO 351S
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Folks: I'm still look at the Carter Carb for my 1950 Super Eight. From what I can see the choke was never set up to work at all. No wonder it runs rough at 30 degrees. I did purchase the Serviceman's Training Booklet as suggested by many, and read it over several times, going out to the garage to compare pictures with the carb. I kept running into discrepancies with the manual's instruction and the owner's manual for starting the car. The owner's manual states; The Packard engine has been designed to give quick. easy starting even in the coldest weather.
"Depress the accelerator pedal just far enough to engage the starter.
When starting a cold engine, do not press the accelerator pedal beyond the point at which the starter is engaged.

Since it has the carter car stater function. The linkage setting the choke and fast idle has to all happen within 30 or 45 degrees of throttle movement. Which goes against the set-up instructions in the Serviceman's Manual.

I contacted the people I purchased the manual from, they looked it up and let me know the Packard Serviceman's training Booklet for the Carter WDO, or the WA-1 is not compatible with my 1950. Only goes up to early 1949 models. They did not have any suggestions.

So; although it was a nice education for $30 it won't help me at all.

I've looked around the internet, but so far have not come up with anything. Does anyone have any ideas on how to set up this fully automatic system?

The Carburetor came rebuilt from Kanters; I was told. But it could have come off any automobile. I believe it has to mostly be linkage adjustments. Although the original carb may have had special linkages on it. I just don't know.

Thanks Dave O.

Posted on: 2021/12/13 18:14
 Top  Print 

Re: Carter WDO 351S
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Are you sure that you have a WDO carburetor?
Some 1950 models used the WGD which continued through to 1954. information for the WGD can be found in the 1951-54 service manual on this site.
Also note that the Carter 351S carburetor is a single barrel used on 1937 Oldsmobile 6 cylinder models.
There was a Carter 531S and 531SA used for Packards with the 356 engine from 1942 to 1950
Your carburetor should have a triangular brass tag on it that will show the model number.
Confirmation of exactly which carburetor you have will help greatly for suggestions on setup.

Posted on: 2021/12/13 21:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Probably the easiest way to tell the difference between the WDO and WGD is the height of the dust cover, Carter part number 118-33 (WDO) or 118-68 (WGD), and the location of the fuel inlet. In the WDO the fuel inlet favored the passenger’s side of the car, while the WGD had the fuel inlet favoring the driver’s side. In the WDO the dust cover, that would be the upper portion of the carburetor between the air horn and the fuel inlet, will be several inches tall, while the dust cover on the WGD is perhaps ¼ inch in height. The WDO dust cover will also have oiling instructions (oil under screws) on the cover.

And then there’s the location of the throttle linkage. WDO is on the passenger’s side, while the WGD it’s on the driver’s side of the carburetor. I think the industry was moving to ‘left-hand’ throttle linkage, and if you want to have ‘right-hand’ linkage that will cost more . . .but that’s just my theory.

While all carburetors left the Carter factory with an identification tag, after 70 + years so of those tags have left home. Once we get past the WDO/WGD question the true configuration can be determined from the part number of the jets and air bleeds.

Perhaps you can expand on the discussion about the choke.

Posted on: 2021/12/13 23:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
The starter wouldn't engage as long as the key is in the off position, would it?

Posted on: 2021/12/14 8:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

John wrote:
The starter wouldn't engage as long as the key is in the off position, would it?

Depends on the year and if the starter circuit is powered from the correct post at the ignition switch. The identification markings are tiny and positioned to be easily damaged so the terminal IDs can be mixed up on the Packard switch.

Some prewar models had the starter circuit active all the time so would crank but not start if the key was off. After those models thru 1948 the key had only one "on" position and key had to be turned to the right or run position to crank and start. From 49-53 the switch had two on positions and engine would crank in either but only start if turned to the right. In 54 thru the end Packard went to the modern 4 position switch so will only crank in the start position when key is turned and held against the spring.

Posted on: 2021/12/14 9:36
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Hello, thanks for your questions. The Carb has WDO on it, the linkage is on the right side, (passenger side). There is no ID tag on it. You're correct the starter would not engage with the key off.

OK, with that all answered, I did more reading using the Packard owner's manuals found here. I checked 47- 53. They pretty much say the same as mine says. Only push the peddle down far enough to engage the starter.

This makes sense because my owner's manual states. " The throttle linkage is so designed that the choke is opened when the accelerator pedal is pressed to the floor."

The Choke: Currently the choke valve has not been set. It is open. when moving the throttle linkage, the fast idle adjusting screw does not contact the fast idle cam or the steps. This all needs to be set up.

In my opinion. With the key off, I should be able to press the accelerator pedal to give the engine some fuel and set the choke. Then turn the key on and start the engine. That's how it's been with any carbureted engine I've ever had, and I've had a lot over the years.

Posted on: 2021/12/14 9:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
According to my Packard manuals/info the
23rd series super 8 engine used a Carter
WDO643SA. The custom 8 engine used a
Carter WDO 531.

Posted on: 2021/12/14 9:39
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
In my opinion. With the key off, I should be able to press the accelerator pedal to give the engine some fuel and set the choke. Then turn the key on and start the engine. That's how it's been with any carbureted engine I've ever had, and I've had a lot over the years.

That is correct and the way the car would have operated after Packard started using the accelerator pedal start on some models in the early 40s. If it cranks with the key off there is some kind of issue with the wiring -- most likely the starter circuit has been bypassed in some fashion or is active all the time because it is powered from an incorrect location.

Posted on: 2021/12/14 10:10
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Thank you so much for the Carburetor information. I had written down the 351S code because that was what the service manual had listed for the Super Eight. Now knowing the manual does not cover late 49's or 50's It all makes sense. I'll see what I can find on this model Carter.

Thanks again
Dave O

Posted on: 2021/12/14 16:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Howard: thank you for re-affirming what I considered to be normal operating cold start procedure. I am going to set it up that way. And I will look for another manual. You are all the best!

Sorting out some of these mysteries can be overly confusing at times.

Thanks, Dave O

Posted on: 2021/12/14 16:49
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved