Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: I was offered to buy a 1948 Packard and have some questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hmm, Do you even like the car?

In my old age I find myself liking the postwar stuff more and more. I guess because modern cars are so ugly. But beauty has its pitfalls as a lot of beauty is a pain in the ass to live with.

My suggestion is to seek out someone with a similar car and see if they will take you for a ride in the thing. Maybe that dealer has a running car that can do the same.

Posted on: 2021/12/20 19:13
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Just popping in
Just popping in

Mark Anderson
See User information
I appreciate everyone's help. I will post any further information or developments. again, Thank you.

Posted on: 2022/1/4 14:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Mark, whether you buy this Packard or another, you’ll probably get more help than for any other make of car! BigKev and the members here are truly outstanding with a shared knowledge and expertise on just about every aspect, year and model of these fine cars.

Posted on: 2022/1/4 14:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning Mark...I have driven a 23rd series Deluxe with a 288 engine for 10 years and find it delightful...Took quite a bit of work to sort it out in the beginning...look in the Vehicle Registry for our Packard and there is a list of everything that we did to her to make her happy. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2022/1/5 13:35
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Mark

Here is another example of a 23rd Series Super Eight that would be an excellent choice for a Packard you can enjoy immediately:
https://forums.aaca.org/topic/370328-for-sale-%C2%A01950-packard-super-4dr-sedan-series-23-woverdrive-14500-ashland-mo-not-mine-price-reduced-to-13500-january-2022-better-new-photos/#comment-2317074

Unless you have the skills and facilities to perform the restoration work necessary and the time to do so, buying an example such as this is far more cost-effective now. Good luck with your search.

Steve

Posted on: 2022/1/9 14:21
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
That's a nice 1950 on the ACAA forums. A little pricey, but looks really nice on the outside and interior. That's a lot of expensive work doesn't need to be done here.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2022/1/9 20:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
Concerning the need for a title for a car as old as a Packard, check with your State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). States differ. Some require a title. Some may not. My State of Georgia does not. Obviously if a title is available, even if your State law does not require one, having a title would be an advantage. Because State laws are different you need to check with your State DMV about whether having a title for a car as old as a Packard is required.

Posted on: 2022/1/24 15:33
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
For the record, California's DMV does require either a title or a previous registration in order to verify and register a vehicle. A title is preferred to prove ownership.

Posted on: 2022/1/24 20:50
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

bouarfalisted
See User information
If you're considering buying a 1948 Packard, you should keep a few things in mind. First, getting the car on a lift is important to check for any rust or damage. The frame, floorboards, and trunk should be in good condition with no rust. The quarter panels and fenders may not have been repaired, so check for rust. The interior is mostly intact, but it may be an older restoration. Mohair upholstery is often used in older cars, so that's not necessarily a negative. I would be cautious about buying a car from a dealer without a warranty or guarantee. Make sure you test drive the car and have a mechanic inspect it before you make a purchase. I did the same when I found a skyline for sale, and I think I will buy it next week. Good luck!

Posted on: 2022/11/3 16:23
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Icarus
See User information
Well, in July I bought my car for $4500. Running and driving, but needed brakes, floor pans, and interior. If it's rust free and you REALLY want a Packard, I say go for it.

Posted on: 2022/11/3 19:53
-1948 Packard Super Deluxe Eight LWB
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved