Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 112

29tons, Karl, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1953 bumper jack
Just popping in
Just popping in

repairbybruce
See User information
Does any one have a picture of a 1953 bumper jack?

Posted on: 2021/12/27 12:53
 Top  Print 

Re: 1953 bumper jack
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
From the Reedy and Shaub book on Packard jacks and tools, and used here with permission.

Attach file:

jpg  51 - 54 Jack.JPG (152.33 KB)
177_61ca0efe20d18.jpg 1273X1259 px

Posted on: 2021/12/27 14:08
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

repairbybruce
See User information
Ok thank you. I need one for a 53. I just bought one that was in a 53 but does not look like that.

Posted on: 2021/12/27 16:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
In the same book that OD posted a picture from there is also a reference to a ‘Senior Car’ bumper jack part number 446871, versus the ‘Junior Car’ jack part number 433143. Although the part numbers may be for the entire jack box and contents, not the jack alone. Perhaps OD can post a picture of the ‘Senior’ jack.

I’m only working from photographs, but the ‘Senior’ jack post appears to be made from square tubing, with the ratchet teeth along the face that would be facing the operator. The ‘Junior’ jack post is a ‘Vee’ shape, with the ratchet teeth along the inside bend of the ‘Vee’.

Neither the ‘Senior’ or ‘Junior’ jacks for this time period had the distinctive ‘pin’ that would fit into a hole along the bottom edge of the bumper. Repairbybruce you’ll have to pin-down what model car you have to determine which of the two jack designs would be appropriate for your car. By the way, the consensus of the forum members is while having the correct jack for the car is an admiral goal, the use of same is not. Most of use consider the OEM bumper jack something to look at, but not use. Back in the day, before we knew any better, those were the only jacks that would be carried in the trunks, hence the only one available when you got a flat tire.

I’m not sure of the availability of the reproduction cardboard boxes that the jack came in.

Posted on: 2021/12/27 18:26
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

repairbybruce
See User information
Hum that interesting. My 53 is a senior car and the car I pulled the jack from was also a senior car. I'm new to this site and have not figured out yet how to post a picture of the jack I have. I do agree with the use of the jack. We are all about keeping the car original and the bigger purpose is for car shows.

Posted on: 2021/12/28 8:41
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved