Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Gas tank repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Hi All,
any recommendations for a gas tank repair shop? A friend has a 1970's Ford with pinholes in the tank.

The same guy is looking to buy a late 20's/early 30's project car. Anybody? Thanks.

John Wogec
(916) 316-5561

Posted on: 2021/12/30 14:11
 Top  Print 

Re: Gas tank repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
On my old car projects, I used a combination of a couple of things for some tank problems.

My '67 F250 had an in-cab tank, that was removed and a under-bed tank added. It had sat for a decade when I got it and was full of crud. I drained it, then cleaned it with a POR15 cleaner...and discovered a couple of pin holes. Not bad. I used a putty-type gas tank patch on those, and then sealed the tank with the POR15 sealer. That's twenty years ago. An F-500 with in-cab tank got the same treatment, but had no leaks.

On a '66 Futura that my daughter had, there was a previous repair on the tank with improper patch; I used the same putty. That's 15 years ago. Same POR15 sealer.

I've used that same process on my '37 115C tank, two other Falcons and a Mustang. And a Ford 8N.

My '40 110 tank though, needed to be boiled out at a radiator shop; the crap inside wouldn't budge with any of the cleaners I tried. They put several holes in it, boiled/steam cleaned it, replaced the drain plug which tore out of the tank, then sealed it and coated the exterior. That was about $300 to have done.

Posted on: 2021/12/30 14:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
There is a place in phila. PA they cook and clean you gas tank and coat the inside. They also do repairs. I have taken 3 or 4 gas tanks to them and Great service and great price. The name is Razzi auto radiator 215 884 9514. I know people send gas tanks and radiators to him. Another thing they may be reproducing the tank you need you may want to do a google search first.

Posted on: 2021/12/30 16:25
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

58survivor
See User information
I went the POR15 cleaner and sealer route to repair an original 58 Corvette tank with varnish, gunk and pin holes. Still holding up after about six years.

Posted on: 2021/12/30 18:42
Joe L
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
POR-15 is a bit expensive, but have used it on several cars in the past and it is a miracle cure. Once the inside of the tank is coated with that stuff, you'll never have to worry about it again.

Posted on: 2022/1/4 9:41
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved