Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: 1948 Limo Super 8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The speedo is held to the cluster by 3 or 4 screws. If it has a trip odometer that knob and cable will need to be removed from the bottom dash edge too. Once the screws are out the speedo should pull back but it may need a bit of juggling to get the face out of the hole. Just be careful not to catch the needle on the edge of the cluster hole.

Here is a photo of the rear of an old cluster that I think BDeB posted some years ago. I marked the approximate screw locations with white circles but they are hard to see because of the rust. As I am sure you have already found out, there is not a lot of space back there and the wire loom may fight you too.

Attach file:

jpg  22-23 cluster rear.jpg (175.33 KB)
209_63b4d765c8785.jpg 1481X765 px

Posted on: 2023/1/3 20:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
That one looks a bit surface rusted on the back....

Posted on: 2023/1/4 18:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That one is a LOT surface rusted, and if it actually was removed from a parts car right before the photo was taken I would hate to see what the rest of the car looks like. Suspect it might have been on a dash long time removed and sitting in the weather.

Posted on: 2023/1/4 19:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The dash came from a 22nd Series Custom 8 that was originally from the Spokane area but sat outside on Anacortes Island on the US West Coast before being moved to central BC then Alberta where it was parted out. Lots of surface rust and pitted chrome but some parts still surprisingly good.

Posted on: 2023/1/4 21:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
While driving the car home to prepare for going to the Speedometer shop, I ran out of gas! This is the 1st time I have ran of of gas and I'm 65! I last filled the tank in September!
So we found out the speedometer was seized and that broke the speedometer cable. After the speedometer was fixed I put $40 worth of gas in the tank and noticed the gas gage does work!
So I drove it 18 miles home and had lots of air coming through the floor by the air vent. There is a rust hole there. I'm having a guy come and check it out.
I am also missing the spare tire well. It has rusted out. The trunk floor is fine! I have seen that there is a spare tire well for a Chevy, but it is probably too small for a Packard tire. Is there one for a Packard?

Posted on: 2023/2/14 21:29
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved