Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 107

‘29 633 Mel, r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1925 Packard Six Fuel Problem
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Warren Classics
See User information
Hi Folks, have a 1925 Packard Six Paddy Wagon that was in a museum for many years and trying to get running using the original fuel system. I have redone the tank and connected to Vacuum Tank. Not getting any flow (can get engine turning over w/ starter fluid) and have no vacuum from the manifold tube. I'm assuming that's my current problem. Any thoughts on how to trouble shoot or solve the vacuum problem?

Also, debating on putting a 6v fuel pump in instead.

Any thoughts / recommendations on how to solve vacuum problem or thoughts about fuel pump?

Posted on: 2022/1/4 12:48
 Top  Print 

Re: 1925 Packard Six Fuel Problem
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Cannot help on the no engine vacuum issue but if you do not already have it, here is info on troubleshooting the S-W vacuum tank setup. No idea what Packard used but apparently there is more than one model.

Electric fuel pumps seem to be a hate them or love them thing so will pass on that comment other than to say if you get one be sure it has a very low pressure out. About the lowest 6v pump I can remember running across is the Airtex E8902 at 2.5-4.5 psi output. Am wondering if even that would be too high to replace a vacuum tank and gravity feed but I think there is another poster using one on a slightly later model. Maybe he can comment on any pros or cons.

Attach file:

pdf StewartVacuumTankModel113-UBooket2039.pdf Size: 1,097.53 KB; Hits: 114
pdf StewartWarnerVacuumTank2-11-27.pdf Size: 510.83 KB; Hits: 119

Posted on: 2022/1/4 13:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I can’t speak for a Packard this early but for electric fuel pumps in general, I used an adjustable pressure regulator at the carburetor on my only Packard with the electric pump which was already installed when I bought it. The electric pump was the diaphragm type mounted of the frame near the tank and I kept the regulator set to (as I recall) 2.5 lbs which was plenty for the 327.

Posted on: 2022/1/4 14:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
I would add a few cup fulls of fuel to the vacuum tank to get the car started to see if it pulls vacuum when the engine is running.

Posted on: 2022/1/4 16:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
My '29 has been running a direct electric fuel pump mounted back by the tank for 20 years. I use a regulator to keep the psi at 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 psi. Until recent vapor locking problems which I haven't worked out yet because now she has an electrical glitch I'm working on, that setup worked extremely well.

I'd like to have a working vacuum pump, but, when they restored my car ages ago, they just mocked it up for looks and there's no guts in it, so, it looks nice on the firewall and has all the plumbing coming out of the top of it, but, it's just a hollow can! Good luck!

Posted on: 2022/1/5 9:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

DavidM wrote:
I would add a few cup fulls of fuel to the vacuum tank to get the car started to see if it pulls vacuum when the engine is running.

Definitely do this! Back in the early 1980's when I was a lot better at working on these things than I am now, we did this quite regularly to cars that had been sitting a few weeks. It's hot down here, and if you didn't drive the car several times a week, you almost always had to prime the vacuum tank to get her going.

Posted on: 2022/1/5 9:33
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Warren Classics
See User information
I already tried putting fuel in to get it primed and it didn't work. Next thing was I put a vacuum gauge on line from the engine and there was 0 vacuum. With a lot of starter fluid I can get it to crank some, but doesn't seem to be enough to keep the fuel flowing

Posted on: 2022/1/5 11:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...You might begin by testing to see if the line from the vacuum tank to the fuel tank has a leak in it. Also from the fuel tank to the vacuum tank...All it takes is a pin hole or a loose connection...to include the gas cap at the tank...Good Luck, Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2022/1/5 13:31
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
When you say that priming the vacuum tank didn't work, do you mean it started but still had no vacuum or it would not start? If it started then there is inlet manifold suction so the problem is between the manifold and the vacuum tank. The suction at the pipe where it connects to the vacuum tank when the engine is running is strong, is the piping blocked?

Posted on: 2022/1/5 16:27
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Warren Classics
See User information
I can't get it started, but while cranking there is no vacuum from the engine. Removed the line, it's clear. Definitely clogged somewhere before the line to the vacuum tank. Also tried using a suction hose to the engine vacuum inlet line and create my own vacuum, still did not get the engine to run. Going to buy a 6v fuel pump and bypass the vacuum tank and see where that gets me. Thanks for all the feedback

Posted on: 2022/1/13 9:56
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved