Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Most reliable Packard engine?
Just popping in
Just popping in

Larenc
See User information
In your opinions, what is the most reliable Packard engine (years made) and what is the most economical?

Posted on: 2009/3/31 23:46

Re: Most reliable Packard engine?
Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
ive started my 1956 374 Packard v8 as low as 28 degrees fahrenheit with absoluely no problems. ive only owned the car sice the mid summer, but had no problems that werent caused by the teething of getting an engine back in shape.

my friends 1954 288 has proven quite reliable as well.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 20:48
Daily Driver:

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Personally think the 48-54 288-327 style engines are hard to beat. They are all basically the same, 5 vs 9 main bearings & lifter style being major difference so parts fairly easy to come by.

I know I tortured a 51 when going to high school with very little in the way of service and it never let me down. There was also another 51 locally that had gone well over 200k with nothing more than routine service. Probably still going strong if it's new owner drives much. Given the least bit of regular service think the whole series serves well--maybe not the 54 aluminum head however.

As to economy, well that is not something Packard was particularly known for--especially with an Ultramatic. There were a few endurance races & Mobil economy runs in the early 50's however where the juniors did fairly well.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 21:29

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
I can tell you which one isn't the most reliable! I totally agree with HH56's synopsis.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I vote for the 245 cu. in. 6-cylinder engine. Tough, reliable, economical, easy to service, and good power.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 10:22
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
I'm with you John, mine has never let me down. It starts easily no matter how hot or cold, and I average about 16 mpg on regular pump gas. In my opinion, the 245 Packard 6 is one of the finest engines ever built.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 11:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

mikec wrote:
ive started my 1956 374 Packard v8 as low as 28 degrees fahrenheit with absoluely no problems. ive only owned the car sice the mid summer, but had no problems that werent caused by the teething of getting an engine back in shape.

my friends 1954 288 has proven quite reliable as well.

mikec,

Did you mean 28 degrees below 0 fahrenheit? Minnesota winters put our V8 Packards through a mean test, and they came through very well, except for a tendency to flood if the driver got too ambitious with the gas pedal.

Also, I don't know about the in-line engines, but the V8s never seemed to be bothered with high ambient temperatures, either. Never knew any of our 3 '55s that ever overheated. And, contrary to common belief, Minnesota summers can be as hot as almost anywhere in the country.

How an engine performs in extreme conditions says a lot about its engineering. But the V8 had its difficulties with durability due to "teething" problems that would ultimately have been solved. It was still a real tank when maintained, with regular oil changes. Economy? Overall, from 60 mph on up, it seemed to deliver about 13 mpg.

Oh, and don't forget: 25,000 miles averaging 104 mph including stops... Never saw a gas mileage figure for that run, but it wasn't an economy test!

Posted on: 2009/4/3 22:27
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
no, regular old 28 degrees F. it started so easily though, that i could definately see it running fine much lower. i also agree with the statement about hot weather. that engine has some serious cooling capabilities.

Posted on: 2009/4/4 10:48
Daily Driver:

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kevin, would it be too much to ask to have a polling place where folks could place their vote for their choice of the most reliable Packard engine? It would interesting to see the data from this voting. Thanks

Posted on: 2009/4/4 13:19
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Sure!

I can setup a poll. I just need someone to give me all the possible engine choices before I can start it.

Posted on: 2009/4/4 13:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved