Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 157

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

51 Packard Convertible 8 cyl. Runs rough.
Just popping in
Just popping in

Gordon
See User information
The owner passed away. We are two friends finishing his restoration. The straight 8 engine was completely overhauled by professional overhaul shop. The engine has always run rough and backfired if revved. Ignition, fuel, carb, and valve timing all checks out. Checked timing gear alignment and found it one tooth off. All back together and still runs rough. Looking for a packard guy in the area of Portland, OR willing to come out and see if there is anything we have overlooked. Need the engine running smooth to finish up the project in honor of our friend.

Posted on: 2022/1/10 14:09
 Top  Print 

Re: 51 Packard Convertible 8 cyl. Runs rough.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
You might want to try the "PAC",Packard Automobie Club, as they have a Portland chapter, if I recall. www.packardclub.org
I thought there was a parts guy up there too, from past dealings. Maybe I'm confused with Seattle, it's been a while. I know I made contact for some part.

Depends on what you mean by "rough" as to what could be. If it's been like that since rebuild, I suspect that's in play. May not have anything to do with timing. Any time something is worked on and a problem arises that wasn't there, then the work is involved in the cause/answer. Troubleshooting 101.

Posted on: 2022/1/10 16:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Condenser??

Posted on: 2022/1/10 20:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
This really helped. I thought I'd done it right the first time, and it ran very roughly, because I think actually I was off by one cylinder. I did it a second time very carefully and things smoothed out.

Speedwell Garage - Straight 8 Distributor installation

Posted on: 2022/1/10 21:47
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Gordon
See User information
Thanks. I will contact PAC. I did find the timing chain one tooth off but it didn’t run any better. Carb was overhauled as well.

Posted on: 2022/1/11 13:44
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved