Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 129

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Converting Brake Sending Uint to a Two post
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
About 5 years ago I replaced the brake sending unit from the 3 to a 2 post unit and installed the necessary relay. Lately it takes a lot of foot pressure before the brake lights go on. I'm assuming it has something to do with the 2 post sending unit and not the relay. I've looked on-site here to see what P/N to get as a replacement, but to no avail. Does someone out there have any recommendations?

Posted on: 2022/1/13 12:32
 Top  Print   

Re: Converting Brake Sending Uint to a Two post
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The Napa SL134 or its equivalent from the other parts stores is the regular and easily available 2 terminal switch most have used for years as replacements for the stock Packard switch from the early 40s onward.

The first 55-56 3 terminal switch aftermarket replacement was a Wells and then a VW switch for a time but both of those seem to have less than long lifespans. 15 or so years ago when the stock 3 terminal switch was really getting to be expensive and hard to find someone started making and selling the mod kit with the relay and regular switch and that has proven to be very successful.

Doubtful the relay is the issue but it is possible. More likely the switch is starting to fail so I would just get a replacement switch and go from there. If you are running silicone fluid that has proven to be very hard on all the hydraulic style switches. If that is the case maybe think about a mechanical conversion and of course, if you change the switch and still have issues it could be the BTV starting to act up.

Posted on: 2022/1/13 13:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Howard, thanks for your input. The Napa number sounds familiar and I think that is what I used. I don't have silicone fluid in the system. It would either be DOT 3 or 4.

The car stops great - it's the brake light so hoping it not the BTV.

The switch is an easy swap so I think I'll try that and go from there is it doesn't resolve the issue.

Posted on: 2022/1/13 13:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
The switch took care of the problem

Posted on: 2022/1/13 19:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved