Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
23 user(s) are online (15 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 23

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55 400 lower windshield trim
Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
The 55 400 that I have been working for the last ten years, is near completion.
The lower windshield stainless trim refuses to lock into the rubber seal. The top and side trim pieces do. When I have tried to pull up on the cording as recommended in the service manual while pressing on the trim the rubber won't enter the lip on the trim piece.

Happy

Posted on: 2022/1/15 16:09
 Top  Print 

Re: 55 400 lower windshield trim
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Been dealing with a similar issue with the top outside trim on the back window on my '55. The windshields on these cars all just seem needlessly finicky and difficult. For my back top outside trim, the service manual recommends putting it on before the window goes in. But then you can't really get the window in... at least using the original stiffer rubber.

Are you using original/NOS rubber or new rubber?

Posted on: 2022/1/15 16:52
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you are using new Steele weatherstrip that may be part of the issue because IMO, it is a softer rubber than the original and does not hold the moulding very well.

If an early car you might also check that the bulletin having the dealership add some lower retainers was done and that the retainers are in position and tight to prevent the glass from sagging and rolling the weatherstrip outward.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/STB/55T-10.pdf Note that in this first bulletin they suggested 5 locations but a subsequent bulletin said they changed weatherstrip to a harder rubber and only used two.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/STB/55T-34.pdf If you only have 2 I would go ahead and install the others.

Posted on: 2022/1/15 17:32
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
Using Steele rubber. also had fits with installation of rear window trim, especially where the side trim mates with the lower section

Happy

Posted on: 2022/1/16 12:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
Car has two cut down clips in addition to the center clip. The ones shown at the 10-inch location appear to be similar to the ones used for the rear window. I will see about putting these one sometime next week. Will post results.

Happy

Posted on: 2022/1/16 12:18
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Pete '56
See User information
Also having a difficulty with Steele rubber weather strip on the front windshield on my '56. Have a bulge on the lower driver's side curve that does not seat. Have picture.

Attach file:

jpg  Packard weather strip bulge.jpg (99.80 KB)
225045_61f0a9006c4c5.jpg 1080X1920 px

jpg  Packard weather strip bulge.jpg (99.80 KB)
225045_61f0a91774eb2.jpg 1080X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/1/25 20:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
Hi as was suggested i did fabricate two more clips and did install them It did help to close up the slot but did little to hold the trim in place. It seems that the bottom trim will not conform to the shape of the windshield and tends to spring away.The original factory rubber seal was strong enough so it was not a problem but that's not all. While working on installing the drivers side trim i looked over at my 56 factory installed windshield rubber seal and saw a major difference. The factory seal measures nearly one half inch, while the Steele is about one quarter of in inch, providing a tighter radius for the curved portion.

I seem to recall a previous post where a similar problem where gasket sealer was used to hold the trim in place That's what I did. If I am able to load the as a reply there should be three attachment.

Attach file:

jpg  P1010028_1.jpg (60.63 KB)
4376_61f3632566460.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  P1010026_1.jpg (73.79 KB)
4376_61f3633b393bf.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  P1010025_2.jpg (73.27 KB)
4376_61f36345b628e.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2022/1/27 22:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Yeah.

Pete has that problem with his 56 Caribbean.

We haven't tackled it yet.

Can you post pictures where the
Bolts go.

Top and bottom.

Thanks...

Posted on: 2022/1/28 1:35
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
This seems to be a recurring topic. I will post what worked for us again as it has seen years since last time. Our windshield though installed with new gasket with the trim in the trunk and was sagging and was way low in the opening. I realize the clips in the bulletin attempt to pull the lower portion of the glass in but this was not all that was needed. Rubber “blocks” were cut as spacers to rest in the weather strip channel from 1/4 inch thick rubber sheet so they were 1/4x1/4x an inch and a half and were used to raise the glass in the opening. All this was done with the glass installed! With suction cups and hand pressure slowly easing the glass up until a spacer could be inserted here and there in several places along the bottom edge. This then made the whole glass fit the opening better and it seemed to sit rearward more on the bottom edge. Then viola- the curves and contours of the mouldings esp in the lower corners fit better and were able to be inserted in the rubber slot in the weatherstrip. If you have a gap between the stainless trim and the roof this would indicate that the glass is very low and your last pic would seem to show yours is by the amount of pinchweld visible above the weatherstrip rubber along the roof line. The trim was “roped in” with fine gauge electric insulated wire and was still a bear but was doable. The process took WEEKS to accomplish. I hope your adhesive does not create a mess in the summer sun. This is just what worked here. May not be everyone’s problem. Good luck.

Posted on: 2022/1/28 14:44
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved