Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 111

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Recommended gasoline
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Quote:

John wrote:
You can also make your own non ethanol gas by removing the alcohol from the gas. An internet search will tell you how to do it.

Said process seems to be quite a pain in anything over very small quantities.

Posted on: 2022/1/22 13:58
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

William Grosz
See User information
https://www.pure-gas.org/

Check this site. It's a listing of most ethanol free gas stations

Posted on: 2022/1/22 17:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Nothing halfway close to the house. I guess that I'll be limping along on 10% for awhile until I sort this out. Maybe there's a station along a route somewhere which would make a nice regular cruise.

Also, it seems to be a dollar higher from what I saw.

Posted on: 2022/1/22 18:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Share Owen_Dyneto's loathe of ethanol gas for the same two reasons. Even Al Gore admits it's a waste, a boondoggle.

Brazil's version is smarter, produced not from corn, but agwaste, as Henry Ford intended his Model T and Fordson tractor, by 1920 comprising fully half of all vehicles on the globe's roads and fields.

But J.D. Rockefeller controlled 90% of all our nation's bulk oil shipment, infrastructure in place, gas low as a dime a gallon, so Ford went along. Otherwise, Maxwell, the Dodge Brothers, Reo, Studebaker, Nash, GM, Packard, Pierce, Auburn, etc. would likely have followed suit.

Modern neoprene fuel pump diaphragms, carb rebuild kits, hoses are fine with ethanol, oft blamed for slipshod work, and today's gas is vastly better than that when our Packards new. Pay a little more for fuel injection hose; it'll serve you for centuries.

A Chevron engineer told us that any gas will easily last over a year provided the car where temperature does not oft exceed 80 degrees. Stabil is a good idea in case you wind up sitting unexpectedly and does no harm. Use that for cars, not the marine version; that nettlesome more is better mentality ever rearing its head. "It's for boats, it must be better."

Relax on that score.

Again, ethanol, DOT 5 silicone brake fluid, modern motor oil too often EZ culprits for slipshod or lazy repair.

If you want to address something directly affecting your old car, channel your energies to preserve a climate where you might still legally enjoy your internal combustion car in a few short years. See my posts on the SEMA thread of the Shows and Events forum of this fine site.

H o w e v e r, given the tendency of many buffs unable to see beyond their own hood ornament, dwell in insular, escapist fantasyland, head in the sand 'til the chickens come home to roost; blame someone or something else for their problems, not holding my breath.

Posted on: 2022/1/22 20:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I live near one of those stations. I will use it on my next stop and see if the data changes.

Posted on: 2022/1/23 9:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Took the old girl out for its first spin as mine and for its first tank of petrol. Had to settle for ethanol-laced petroleum, but I did some guesstimating and figure that if I drive this car 20-50 miles per week, I doubt that a tank will last much more than 6 weeks or so, depending on MPG - which is not why I bought it.

I think that fuel tank is about 20 gallons, it filled slowly, as I recalled it would. Ten point five or so of the 87 stuff. Then we went for a wee cruise.

It's got a bit of git-up-n-git, a pleasant surprise. Not much road noise. No rattles. It has less of a floaty feeling at 50 MPH than my old '65 Polara did. Brakes are adequate. And I have an excuse to go out later, too.

Poor thing sure could use another gear . . . .

Posted on: 2022/1/23 14:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
I too am lucky, down here in Louisiana we have a number of stations that sell non-ethanol 87 octane fuel, primarily because we're such an agricultural state a lot of farm machinery absolutely has to have it.

Problem I ran into was with the switch from the summer to winter blend. My '29 ran fine on the summer gas, began vapor locking on the winter blend gas from the same station. As some suggested, I added some kerosene to the tank to dumb down the octane rating and that did seem to greatly help the problem.

By all means, try to stay away from ethanol, it destroyed my business partner's vintage Harley, he ended up having to replace everything with the fuel system, including the tanks. The previous owner of my car had obviously used it as well, as there's a good deal of rust in my tank. But since our driving season down here is winter because of the heat, I'm going to hold off on dropping the tank and cleaning it out until summer. For now I just try and keep an eye on the aftermarket fuel filter hidden back by the tank.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2022/1/26 10:38
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I use whatever 87 octane gas the station that is closest/cheapest sells. Since I only go through 1 or 2 tanks of fuel per year, I put some Stabil in as cheap insurance. I also start the car in the winter to keep the fuel in the carb from completely drying out.

I have a completely gone through fuel system with an epoxy coated tank, new lines, new hoses, etc.

I've never had an issue with the cheap fuel after I sorted the system.

Posted on: 2022/1/26 15:20
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I keep a, uh, large number of antique vehicles for my personal use as I don't have anything newer than '63. I rotate them in and out of service as the mood and weather dictates. Take a 41 Commander to the post office, the '53 Clipper to the lumber yard, and maybe my beloved Lark hardtop to dinner.
Here in MD, there is only ethanol laced gas so that is what I have been using since the boondoggle was invented. This has caused me an astonishingly small amount of trouble over the last 20 (?) years. Even the least used of the fleet will see 2 tankfuls a year. I try and put them away with tanks near full to minimize temperature driven air exchange. And that is it.

Gas tanks rusted and carbs got choked with crap long before ethanol reared its feckless head.

You would also be hard pressed to find a carb kit or fuel pump kit that won't withstand ethanol at this late date. Please find something else to worry about.

But Kev's point is very well taken. Every vehicle I get is given a complete re-do of the fuel system before it enters service. It takes less time to do that than to wait for AAA on the side of the road because of some pinhole in the fuel line hidden under a tubing clamp.

Posted on: 2022/1/27 14:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
What, Wat worry?

Found some ethanol-free gasoline today - nowhere near home and quite by accident.

Look who visited my jobsite:

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0617.jpg (745.24 KB)
224836_61f3475888ff3.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/1/27 20:31
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved