Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

LED bulbs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I'm a fan. I use them on my motorcycles with the idea of making the bikes brighter so as to communicate with the st000pids on the road more effectively. So far so good. Of course, those are both modern 12v systems.

Since it's just me these days, as I was driving the Deluxe home from its second outing, I pulled through a shopping center to check the back lights in a storefront window while I watched through the mirror. Sure enough, the left tail/brake (1154) has a bad brake filament. (The tail light works, so I assume the socket and ground are sound.) I ordered a couple of replacements from the Bezos bunch, but I got to wondering about LED bulbs since there's just that tiny light back there in all that sea of 76 year old steel.

Anybody tried them? Found a source? Opinions? They certainly don't overtax the electricals, that's for sure.

Posted on: 2022/1/23 17:21
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Re: LED bulbs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin
See User information
Our Motor City Packards region of The Packard Club (PAC) has been testing different LED bulbs for use in 6-volt Packards, focusing on ability to fit under the various lenses, as well as light output. We are now selling a broad variety of bulbs that have been physically tested in the various Packards. You can see what kinds of bulbs are available now plus their prices athttps://www.motorcitypackards.org/information/services-and-ads/

Only 6-volt compatible bulbs are available at this time.

Posted on: 2022/1/23 17:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
These guys sell 6V positive ground LED lights. I've tried them, they work (but note I've only tried them for turn signal and fog lights and a tiny 51 or 55, cannot remember offhand). They seem to be easy to deal with and shipping and stuff has been simple to deal with.

LED lights positive ground

They're brighter. For a red tailight, get the "red" one, for a white backing light or front fog light, get the 6000 degree K (hot white) not the 3000 degree K (warm).

Be aware that, since the resistance is different for these bulbs, your flasher may not work correctly since it relies on a certain amount of current flowing, and the LED lights use less current.
They sell a digital flasher that worked really well for me for 6 months, now it is acting up in a strange way, not sure about that yet, it could be something in my wiring as well, or I may have accidentally fried it when fooling around with something else. It has an extra pigtail that has to be connected to ground somehow. It still works, just keeps both indicator lights on, so when the turn signal indicator lights flash, it looks like the wrong side is flashing. But otherwise I really like it, since I didn't have to add an extra resistor with the corresponding fire hazard and extra wiring (see below).

6 V positive ground digital flasher

They also sell these things meant to mimic the amount of current flowing by putting a second resistor in parallel, I have talked to other folks and, well, as they say the resistor gets hot and can burn out (as well it shouldn't be in the vicinity of anything remotely flammable) But I haven't used them myself so cannot tell. They sell 6 ohm and 3 ohm variants.

Load Equalizer - 6 ohm

Posted on: 2022/1/23 22:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I use them for inside rear courtesy lights. No. Problem on a 56 400.

Posted on: 2022/1/24 2:44
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Cool! Thanks for the links. I'll check those out.

Posted on: 2022/1/24 4:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I too am a big fan of LED bulbs but prefer the type that look like actual bulbs and there are quite a few of those around for 12v cars but not so much for 6v, much less positive ground. Some, of course, are made to be polarity insensitive but many are not.

Posted on: 2022/1/24 11:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Wat_Tyler,

I purchased leds for the headlights for my 1931 from

http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/led-headlamp-bulbs-shop.php

Very pleased on how they light up the road now.

Posted on: 2022/1/24 20:16
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Thanks. Not that I intend to drive at night if I can help it, but every lumen counts.

I'll have to read that more closely to see if they do sealed beams. I reckon that's what's on the '46.

Posted on: 2022/1/25 4:51
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bruce Blevins
See User information
I am selling LED 6 volts bulbs for our club. Can send anyone the order form and information. Warning though, getting LED from manufacturers is taking a while in some cases, so may be a wait for some bulbs. Trying to build inventory. Manufacturers are constantly discontinuing the bulbs I buy and replacing them with what they believe is better. Sometimes there is a fit problem because of length. LED companies do not use standard bulb numbers most of the time and if they do, sometimes they do not fit. That is why I measure, fit and test each new style I sell for the club. Satisfaction guaranteed. Plug and play replacements. Send requests to blevinsb33@aol.com

Posted on: 2022/1/25 10:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
I have LED's in my '29's instrument panel and the overhead dome light - lordy what a difference! I don't drive a lot at night, but I can now actually see what the instruments are saying and the difference it made with the dome light was astonishing. Won't be going back to stock bulbs anytime soon!

Posted on: 2022/1/25 14:23
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved