Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
55 user(s) are online (36 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 55

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oil Pump - 1930 Super 8
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Rich1028
See User information
Hi all...looking for some advice/recommendations with respect to the oil pump. I removed the oil pan this weekend and gave it a good cleaning...was full of years of sludge...really glad a dropped it and cleaned all that stuff out. Before reinstalling the pan, is there anything that I need to do to the oil pump while I have the pan dropped? I wouldn't mind taking the pump off and cleaning it, but not sure how big a deal that is or if it is needed. The screen right below the metal sleeve looks clean, doesn't have any holes or obstructions. If I do need to remove the pump, are there any issues or tips with respect to its removal?
Thank you in advance as always, as I would not be able to have learned so much about my car without the expertise located on this site and the people that share their knowledge here.
Thanks,
Rich

Posted on: 2022/1/24 9:07
 Top  Print 

Re: Oil Pump - 1930 Super 8
Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
Did you have decent oil pressure before dropping the pan? If so, there's no need to pull the oil pump. Live by the old creed, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Posted on: 2022/1/24 13:56
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Rich1028
See User information
Ok, thanks...thats what I'll do. The pump is all mechanical/gear driven, correct? I was looking around for an exploded view of the pump, but am unable to locate it. Anyone have a copy they can post of it? Just want to familiarize myself with the part...
Thanks,
Rich

Posted on: 2022/1/25 8:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
Yes, the pump is purely mechanical. One must remember, for all their good looks, these are basically glorified old tractor motors. Which is usually why the best guys to work on them are guys who work on old tractors. Cleaning all the gunk out of the pan and keeping that screen clean is a good thing, but taking the pump down, or apart, if it's functioning okay, is just asking for trouble when you don't have any.

All that said, I'm chasing an electrical glitch on my '29 now, so, the fun never ends! Have fun with it!

Posted on: 2022/1/25 14:13
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Rich1028
See User information
I absolutely hear that....have plenty of times messed with something and made it worse!

Thanks!
Rich

Posted on: 2022/1/25 15:59
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved