Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 146

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Spark plug seat reconditioning
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Hi folks,

I was having trouble with one of my spark plugs, seemed like it was getting a little bit of blowby, you could see a little bit of oil bubble past the plug after you had run the thing a long time, from what I understand that would be caused by a bad seal at the spark plug gasket. I thought, well, maybe the spark plug wasn't seating very well, and since I had the head off I cleaned out the well and wire-brushed the seating surface, and in pretty much all of the spark plugs the seat, e.g. where the spark plug gasket sits, is rather pitted. I don't think I was having any problem except with that one spark plug, but now that I've wire brushed the paint off in the sealing surface, I can see it clearly everywhere.

I saw that TimeSert sells this tool, kinda pricy. I also wonder if I cut too much of the seat down the spark plug would be sticking out too far and maybe the valve would bash into it:

Time-Sert Spark Plug Seat Reconditioning kit.

I guess I could take the head to a machine shop to take care of this, but that would also be $$ and have the same possible problem.

I will get a picture later and post.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2022/1/25 0:00
 Top  Print 

Re: Spark plug seat reconditioning
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Jerome,

Wild thought and don't know if this would work.....a tap washer reseating tool?

Posted on: 2022/1/25 0:55
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Here's a couple of pictures. Hard to take a good one because of reflections on metal surfaces.

Is this anything to worry about? Is this normal on these engines after all this time?

Attach file:

jpg  20220125_083047.jpg (129.27 KB)
148538_61f02666afaaf.jpg 864X1920 px

jpg  20220125_083057.jpg (141.98 KB)
148538_61f0267d75103.jpg 864X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/1/25 11:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
First check the issue by putting soap and water around the plugs and starting the motor. Bubbles indicate leakage.

There are high strength metalized epoxies out there that can be applied and sanded.

Those UY-6 plugs don't need to be very tight. However, bubbles indicate gases are getting past the threads and that is a different problem.

Posted on: 2022/1/25 11:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
This happens when plugs are removed and put back in without replacing the gasket/seal under them. To the question, I’ve not used the tool but on my 1954 Patrician’s aluminum head, I had all the plug holes Heli-coiled and the seats redone professionally.

Posted on: 2022/1/25 12:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon...A couple of thoughts come to mind.
First, the threads are always just a tiny bid different on different manufacturers plugs. Might pay to get a nut the correct size and try it on some different plugs that will swap into your packard.

Second, ACE Hardware has a product called Pipe Thread Compound TFE Paste. It contains teflon in its mixture. It works on water, steam, natural and LP gas, oils, fuels and dilute acids. A little around the top three or so threads on the plug seems to do the trick...It would be a cheep fix. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2022/1/25 14:16
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
So: I did a few things:

1) Cleaned those areas really well with a wire brush.

2) Used a bit of JB-weld to fill the pits, smoothed it out using a tool I made from an extra head stud and bolt, which fit down in there real nice.

3) After the JB-weld had cured for 24 hours, used the wire brush again to smooth it out once more. Truthfully, by the time I'd done all this, I'm not sure any of the JB-weld was left, very little if that.

Took the car for a couple hour+ long test drives and see no problems at the spark plugs anymore.

Thanks everyone!

Posted on: 2022/2/4 21:50
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved