Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
25 user(s) are online (14 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 25

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Transmission question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
My new-to-me driver is a 1946 Deluxe sedan. It has the stock three-speed without overdrive. I've been trying to search up some information but don't seem to be getting very far with it, so I'll ask this here.

1: What transmission is this?

2: I presume Packard didn't make it. Is it a Borg Warner? If so, which one?

3: How long is it, roughly?

4: Does its bolt pattern correspond with anything that came later. For example, if it's a BG Whatever, does it have the same bolt pattern as, say, a T-10?

Thank you very much in advance.

Posted on: 2022/1/25 19:12
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Re: Transmission question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's a Packard-built transmission.

Posted on: 2022/1/25 19:19
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is Packard as they built their own transmissions thru 54 and from about 40 on all are essentially the same inside. The exception is that those used with the 356 engine had a larger diameter input shaft and if an OD was attached, a stronger planetary unit in the OD. Externally they are also similar over the years with the mounting bolt hole locations, the levers for the arms, and the tail shaft or the bolted on OD unit being the main difference.

The basic transmission case is the same but the overall length will vary with tailshaft or OD so there is not a fixed number.

You can check out the training manualhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/TransmissionAndOverdriveTrainingManual.pdf for details on the unit.

Posted on: 2022/1/25 19:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Howard is correct that they will bolt together bell housing to transmission from around 1940 through 1954 although somewhere in there a 5th mounting bolt was added at the bottom that attached to a cast iron clutch cover when the stamped steel one was replaced. As Howard said, the 356s had a heavier duty system and so did the 1951-1954 Henney-Packards with specially hardened gears and a different OD unit.

Posted on: 2022/1/25 19:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Joy!!!

Okay, this plot just thickened.

Posted on: 2022/1/25 19:33
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Wat_Tyler wrote:.....4: Does its bolt pattern correspond with anything that came later. For example, if it's a BG Whatever, does it have the same bolt pattern as, say, a T-10?.....
Wat,

This is anecdotal info at best, don't have any first hand knowledge, supposedly it's the same bolt pattern as a T-10!

Posted on: 2022/1/25 20:49
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
Quote:
Wat_Tyler wrote:.....4: Does its bolt pattern correspond with anything that came later. For example, if it's a BG Whatever, does it have the same bolt pattern as, say, a T-10?.....
Wat,

This is anecdotal info at best, don't have any first hand knowledge, supposedly it's the same bolt pattern as a T-10!

That's what my eyeballs told me, too.

At which point, the question becomes, what it the centering of the input shaft relative to the bolts and the crank? Because, if that's the same, my Nefarious Scheme will have grown legs.

e/t/a: I guess that what I really need to do is to pull the drivetrain out of that '41 parts cars and take it apart and give it a going over to measure things.

In my spare time . . . . :rolleyes:

Posted on: 2022/1/26 5:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
It is Packard as they built their own transmissions thru 54 and from about 40 on all are essentially the same inside. The exception is that those used with the 356 engine had a larger diameter input shaft and if an OD was attached, a stronger planetary unit in the OD. Externally they are also similar over the years with the mounting bolt hole locations, the levers for the arms, and the tail shaft or the bolted on OD unit being the main difference.

The basic transmission case is the same but the overall length will vary with tailshaft or OD so there is not a fixed number.

You can check out the training manualhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/TransmissionAndOverdriveTrainingManual.pdf for details on the unit.

Thank you for this. After a bit of head-scratching and pondering and rereading this thread, I think that you have given me what I'm looking for. Logistics at he moment make pulling an in-kind transmission undoable, but I do have one behind the 356 I brought here with me. I can likely get close enough data from it to be able ot move along here.

Posted on: 2022/1/27 6:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
Wat,

Hmmm......but which T-10? There were several different bolt patterns on various T-10s. For example, Studebaker used the T-10 for 4 years, and there were two different bolt patterns. Also, there were a number of different input shaft configurations depending on the make of car it was originally installed in.

Just something to be aware of when you are shopping for a transmission.

Fred probably knows all of this already Wat, check with her.

Posted on: 2022/1/27 6:16
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Why not go for a T5? A much desired retrofit transmission. Lots to choose from. Fifth gear is an overdrive ratio. For all the work and expense to get a T10 you could have a T5 and all its advantages. Just a suggestion...

Posted on: 2022/1/27 12:02
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved