Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Anyone had big headlights rechromed lately? Curious what a ballpark figure is to have them done.
Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
My headlights aren't awful on my '29 but they're showing light spots of pitting, primarily on the lower back parts, where the old rechrome job from twenty years back is just starting to give up. It's not a glaring problem, but, they're not going to get any better and don't want them to start rusting or peeling down there.

So, was just curious if anyone had had a pair of large headlights chromed lately and what kind of expense I can be looking forward to. There are only a couple of chrome shops in the Baton Rouge area, so, my options down here are very limited!

Thanks guys!

Posted on: 2022/1/26 9:48
 Top  Print   

Re: Anyone had big headlights rechromed lately? Curious what a ballpark figure is to have them done.
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

GaryinSC
See User information
My 32 headlights were $350 for the bucket and $ 150 for the lens rim a couple of years ago. If repairs are needed such as cracks or severe pitting that will be extra. Reflectors were $ 150 to plate with nickel. You must do the rim and bucket together as the thickness of triple plating will increase the surface area so the rim won't fit and may need adjusting to account for the plating thickness. Show chrome is expensive no matter where you go, cheap chrome is cheap, so don't be fooled by price.

Posted on: 2022/1/26 10:22
 Top  Print   

Re: Anyone had big headlights rechromed lately? Curious what a ballpark figure is to have them done.
Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Jerry Forrester in Douglasville Ga. Does chrome he is a car guy . Did some stuff for me nice work fair price and fast when he did mine. My only connection with him is thru Studebaker Drivers club. I was more than satisfied with his work.

Posted on: 2022/1/27 10:46
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
1929Packardguy,

This is what I paid to have mine rechromed back in 2010

Final Cost was and arm and a leg.
$2100 for labor
12% Shop materials $252
Haz Waste 2% $42
Shipping $70.

My buckets were in pretty ruff shape.
Attached is a before and after pictures

Attach file:

jpg  44_4bccd9ee4620c.jpg (31.94 KB)
44_61f324f7e569d.jpg 400X300 px

jpg  44_4bd25a635d5ab.jpg (27.51 KB)
44_61f3250a21b35.jpg 400X300 px

Posted on: 2022/1/27 17:58
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
Good grief Tom, that seems like a small fortune! I had a pair of bumpers done on a muscle car locally a couple of years back and that was less than $800 total for the pair.

Chroming must be much more expensive up north than it is down here in the swamps!

Posted on: 2022/1/28 10:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Local shop I usually use could not handle repairing these buckets so I had to send them out of state (Ohio).

Posted on: 2022/1/28 12:22
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
It's not the Chroming itself that's expensive, it's the work involved to get it ready for rechroming.

Posted on: 2022/1/31 12:59
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved