Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Beware the stupid amp gauge! Finally solved my electrical issue!
Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
My '29 633 has been giving me electrical fits since late December. It would randomly run very rough, spit sputter, flat out die at an idle sometimes, until finally on January 1st, she popped the fuse on the firewall and I went into replacing and tracing all sorts of things.

I replaced the ignition switch with a universal switch, I'd already changed the coil and condenser, checked all the grounds, current just wasn't flowing anywhere from the kill switch except to the starter motor which is on it's own line, of course. Even the headlights stopped working, and this was a professionally restored and rewired car with the correct wiring harness in it.

Found the culprit today. The amp gauge itself had shorted out and wasn't letting any current through it. I bypassed the gauge, everything works perfect, she fired right up, went for a 6.7 mile test drive and all seems well.

Of course, I don't have an amp gauge now, so, does anyone out there know who has a '29 amp gauge or rebuilds them?

And if your car starts running rough and crazy and nothing else seems to work, bypass the amp gauge. On the '29, the ignition switch and the coil are fed through the gauge, so as it was breaking down, it wasn't sending juice to the coil. Crazy little world!

Posted on: 2022/1/30 14:20
 Top  Print 

Re: Beware the stupid amp gauge! Finally solved my electrical issue!
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Impressive. And that is a truly diabolical gauge :)

Posted on: 2022/1/30 14:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ammeters are often repairable. John Wolf and Co. has been doing them for years. Willoughby, OH.

https://antiqueinstrument.com

Posted on: 2022/1/30 14:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
29 Pack Guy -- Was the amp gauge problem causing what you initially thought was vapor locking?

Posted on: 2022/2/20 6:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
29 Pack Guy -- Was the amp gauge problem causing what you initially thought was vapor locking?

Posted on: 2022/2/20 6:16
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved