Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Window frame rollers
Home away from home
Home away from home

ElGroucho
See User information
I have a 1937 120-c, don't know if that makes a difference. I'm missing a couple of these window frame rollers (wheels) I think they are bronze or brass. There's a total of 4, 2 on one side and 2 that are off set on the other side. They reside on the bottom end of the door window frame. Anyone know where to get these? Or anyone have any spares?

Attach file:

jpg  20220131_072955.jpg (112.66 KB)
200605_61f802c332a05.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/1/31 10:40
 Top  Print   

Re: Window frame rollers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If Flackmaster cannot help and they do not absolutely need to be brass or bronze or have a special contour what about ordinary steel ball bearings. McMaster-Carr has a large selection of small and fairly inexpensive bearings with dimensions in ranges that look like they might fit.

If the bearings won't work what about a length of brass rod with a correct OD and then drilled and cut for ID and width.

Posted on: 2022/1/31 11:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Not available. You will have to make some, either out of soft brass, or HDMI Plastic/Nylon, which should not be a major task. Tolerances not that critical, I've even chucked up a rod in my drill and sanded it down. Embarrassing, but true.

Posted on: 2022/2/1 9:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I had the same issue, at some point the previous owner had found a side window glass that was close to the broken(?) one and replaced it but the angle was wrong so they did a bunch of mods to get it to work including chipping away at the front edge so it would slide up & down in the vent window rear channel. In doing so they removed the rollers to tilt the bottom bracket and use its holes as an anchor. I made a couple of new ones using block nylon as my material. It is a low load roller so nylon is more than adequate and would likely have been used back then if it was available. It machines easily too, my low tech shop in the basement turned out the parts with a band saw and drill press. The ball bearings where gone too so I used 1/16 dia wire as an axle using the centres of the ball pockets and drilling completely thru the casing. Once installed I ground the wire flush with the outer wall. The wire is made as a U shape so the fastener traps the part on the outside. I need to reweld the frame yet and get the proper shape glass cut now.
Good luck!
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  Window Roller-2.JPG (326.51 KB)
225215_61f95549c98a1.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  Window Roller-3.JPG (281.27 KB)
225215_61f95555207fb.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/2/1 10:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ElGroucho
See User information
Thanks everyone for the responses and suggestions. And thanks for the details/pictures on your fix Bob J

Posted on: 2022/2/1 21:20
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved