Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Asking the men and women who own one...
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David Conwill
See User information
Hello,

I've been looking for a 1946 to 1961 four-door sedan for some time now to use as a good-weather daily driver. I'd been primarily focused on obtaining an oldie from Ford or Chevrolet, as there seems to be good support for those brands in the aftermarket and reproduction parts industry, but I may have just found a deal on a Packard I can't refuse.

I just moved to a new town and at an old gas-station-cum-repair-shop downtown there is a '51 to '54 Packard sedan (not sure of the model or the exact year). I've always appreciated these cars, but never really encountered one for sale in my price range. This one is marked $2500, but I was quoted $1800 when I asked, and was told it runs and drives, though I'm taking that with a grain of salt or two. Anyway, the point being that it's not in mere parts car shape, and if it were anything other than a four-door I'm sure it wouldn't still be sitting there.

So my question to you is - If I take the leap, will I be rewarded? Seems like there's a good enthusiast network for these beauties out there, and quite a few sources for New Old Stock bits, but driver-type upgrades (i.e. disc brakes, overdrive transmissions, etc.) seem to be largely a build-it-yourself affair.

Assuming this is the least-desirable Packard from the era (an era which seems to be ahead of only the "Packabaker" era in desirability itself), will I still like driving it and have fun working on it, or will it be a constant battle and headache? Any input is appreciated.

-Dave

Posted on: 2009/4/3 13:05
 Top  Print   

Re: Asking the men and women who own one...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
You are correct that all postwar Packards sell at a discount compared to the classic era.

And that the 1951 to 54 models are the least collectible of the postwar models.

As you have noticed, this means there are some great bargains to be had.

For a start, a Packard was a far better built car than a Ford or Chevrolet. As well it should be when it was selling for Buick or Cadillac dough.

A straight eight Packard is going to be a more reliable car than a Ford or Chev of the same year.

I am thinking specifically of the splash oiled stovebolt six, the flathead Ford with its overheating problems and the Y block Ford with its dicy oiling system and teapot carburetor.

The Packard will cruise without strain at 70 which would be pushing it for most low priced cars of that era.

Furthermore Packards of that age usually did not have power steering, air conditioning, power windows and all the other accessories that are such a problem when they get old. Packard even offered manual transmission in all models, when GM was offering automatic or nothing then claiming their customers "demanded" automatics.

A friend of mine rebuilt his Patrician straight eight about 2 years ago. He told me the engine was very easy to work on and the parts cost only $1000. Try to rebuild the engine in a Honda for that.

To me the 1951 to 54 Packards are one of the great overlooked gems in the old car field. They are well made, reliable, you can drive them in modern traffic (if you are careful). Parts are mostly available.

As to whether you will have a constant battle and a headache, I am sure you will. After all we are talking about a car that passed its best before date when Cher was a virgin.

They are good cars but not that good.

As to whether you enjoy driving it and working on it, that is up to you. But you will stand a fighting chance.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 13:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
To put it another way, if I were in your position I would definitely buy the Packard if it is in halfway decent shape.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 13:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
If it's an automatic car, drive it first and see how the transmission shifts. If it vibrates, shudders, feels like it's slipping, or just plain doesn't shift like it should, be prepared to shell out close to $3000 to get it fixed, but it will be fixed right. The engine is very simple, and if you have any mechanical inclination at all you can handle almost any problem that may arise. They are great cars, but better when they're manual transmission. (Based solely on my bias towards manual transmissions) The Ultramatic is a good transmission if you drive like your grandfather did back in the '50s. (Note: This does not apply to relatives of '50s racing drivers!) All the bad press that the Ultramatic gets is because people try to drive them like hot rods, and they're not. IMHO, they're a million times better than a comparable year Big 3 car.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 13:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Looks like you type faster than I do Rusty!

Posted on: 2009/4/3 13:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
And that the 1951 to 54 models are the least collectible of the postwar models.

I take exception to that statement, Rusty. I know you were generalizing and trying to paint a broad picture for the inquirer. Myself and many others would rate a Mayfair, Pacific, convertible, Caribbean, Clipper Sportster, etc. over a 48 Eight sedan any day. Each era had its unique cars, certainly nothing in the 51-54 era can compare to a 48-50 Custom 8.

Also you noted that they were all available with standard shift; not quite true. 1954 Patrician and Caribbean were only available with automatic.

But with those minor points your assessment was on track. I'm a real fan of the 51-54 cars, having owned one back when they were "nearly new" and driven it extensively.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 13:42
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David Conwill
See User information
"As to whether you will have a constant battle and a headache, I am sure you will."

I'm not too worried about things going wrong because they're old, that much I expect, I'm concerned about not being able to find the part I need when the one I've got goes bad and can't be rebuilt. That's the scary part about an orphan make or one that is unpopular with the hot rodding crowd, the hunt for parts.

"They are good cars but not that good."

I dunno, you paint a pretty picture when you compare them to a Ford or Chevy of the same era. It's easy to forget that they were still priced up with Buick.

Speaking of Buick, that's what my paternal grandfather was driving when "my" Packard was built. I'm a stick man myself, but I suspect he probably had a Dynaflow in his '52.

"As to whether you enjoy driving it and working on it, that is up to you. But you will stand a fighting chance."

I'd much rather drive and work on any '50s car than anything made after the time I was born - so I guess I needn't have asked that question!

Thanks greatly for the input, I just needed to know I wasn't going to make a mistake.

-Dave

Posted on: 2009/4/3 14:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Dave,
to PackardInfo, a great support base for WHEN you buy that '51-'54. The guys here will be able to advise and inform should you have specific questions on your Packard. And WHEN you buy it don't forget to include it in the Owner Registry here together with a pic and any known history.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 14:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David Conwill
See User information
Oh, and for the record, the car in question has an Ultramatic, but I have a line on some stick-shift parts. Do these cars have torque tubes, or an open driveshaft?

-Dave

Posted on: 2009/4/3 14:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
David Conwill wrote:.......Do these cars have torque tubes, or an open driveshaft? -Dave

Dave,

Open driveshaft.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 14:17
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved