Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 135

pmhowe, humanpotatohybrid, Out Islander, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine Support Bar PU-365
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mike52_200
See User information
Does anyone still make this support bar or know where I can get one? I need to remove my standard Transmission and I want to be able to roll the car around if needed!
Thanks, Mike

Attach file:

jpg  PU-365.jpg (36.55 KB)
225268_61fd4e32e74a9.jpg 228X655 px

Posted on: 2022/2/4 10:50
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine Support Bar PU-365
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary49eight
See User information
Hello Mike. I am not familiar with the 52 cars, but can you remove the inner fenders like on a Series 22 or 23? Gary

Posted on: 2022/2/13 6:04
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mike52_200
See User information
I'm not sure what you mean by removing inner finders? I just want to support the engine when the transmission is out and be able to roll the car around, sense I will probably have the car disabled for quite some time getting parts. I could leave it on jacks, but it would be difficult to move. Mike

Posted on: 2022/2/16 17:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe only a relatively small section on the passenger side inner fender unscrews to provide access to the valve chambers. Certainly not much use for anything else.

You could probably hold the engine up with some chain wrapped around the frame rails but it would not be as elegant as the tool or a facsimile.

Don't remember ever seeing that particular tool for sale so doubt it was repro'd. I do remember someone saying he was going to build a substitute using the photo as a quide. As I recall it was to be made out of 2" heavy angle iron -- 1/4 walls -- and some all thread. A 6' length would probably do it.

Can see how it would be relatively easy to saw as needed at two spots in the middle and bend the ends up to have the center drop down the depth of the oil pan plus an inch or so. Notch out a section for the two places at the upper end so you could bend and create the flat clamping areas and if needed you could then trim any left over ends so it is the width of the frame rails.

If you do not have access to a welder some reinforcing plates could be cut and bolted at the cuts to keep them from spreading. A coupe of holes drilled in the flat center section would allow some all thread to be inserted for the actual support points. Threaded on nuts and washers would hold the all thread pieces at the height needed.

Posted on: 2022/2/16 18:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Apparently the engine has been held up for close to 40 years in my 1951 Henney-Packard by the exhaust pipe which seems none the worse for it! I’m only just now starting to work on the car after having owned it and moving it around occasionally in that time without ever looking underneath.

Posted on: 2022/2/17 3:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
I remember seeing these posts, though I don't think this bar was ever attached to the frame so the car could be rolled around, but that would perhaps just be some C-clamps and chain/rope/cable:

Engine Support, Part A

Engine Support, Part B

Posted on: 2022/2/17 6:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I would assume the two adjustable bolts would come up against flange of the oil pan?

Posted on: 2022/2/17 11:35
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary49eight
See User information
Mike, I know I will need to make something similar for my car one of these days. A piece of 2 inch box tube under the frame rails, and something going up over the frame and back to the box will work. (U bolts, metal strap, chain...) It is easy on a 48-50 because of the clearance once the inner panels are moved aside. I am not familiar with a 52.
Gary

Posted on: 2022/2/18 2:27
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mike52_200
See User information
Thanks! I already took transmission out so I will probably make something or just fly the hood and put one of those engine hangers on. by the looks of the transmission, it might be a while!

Posted on: 2022/2/20 21:42
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved