Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
87 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 85

Don B, Miguel Gallego, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 55 patrician tires
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
About 35 years ago, I was working with an engineer who helped develop the Goodrich Comp T/A, and he helped me with the math and measurements needed to come up with proper metric replacements for the original 55-56 tires.

The best fit we came up with for the 8.00-15 used on the Senior cars was 235/75-15. For the 7.60-15 used on Juniors (Clippers and Executive), 225/75-15.

While I once owned a 55 Patrician, I sold that car before even getting close to tire replacement.

Yet, I can personally attest to the 235/75-15, which I installed on my 56 Caribbean H/T back in the 1990s. There was no rubbing problem. However, because of their wider profile, I had to let a little air out of the rear tires to fit between the drum and wheel opening during installation - then air back up. While this could prove to be an inconvenience for road service, I've not run up against that issue.

Next purchase, I'm considering Coker's 800R15 WWW radials (with bias-ply looks), even though my friend, the late Randy Berger, frequently aired his bad experience with earlier Coker tires.

Posted on: 2022/2/12 9:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I too considered the Coker tires, but decided on the Diamondbacks. The Coker's reviews were mixed and mostly not good. The Diamondbacks, while recently introduced, has all good reviews. Love the vintage bias ply look and the modern tubeless radial performance.

Posted on: 2022/2/12 12:50
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
The best fit we came up with for the 8.00-15 used on the Senior cars was 235/75-15. For the 7.60-15 used on Juniors (Clippers and Executive), 225/75-15.

Of course I’m sure you didn’t mean to imply that the Executive was a junior but you’re right, it is the same chassis as the Clipper so uses the same tire size. As for it being a senior, it was my argument at a PAC board meeting where this was discussed many years ago when I was on the board that got the Executive officially declared as a senior.

Posted on: 2022/2/12 13:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
As my father purchased an Executive, brand-new in 56 (though long since gone), no, I didn't intend to imply it is a Junior.

However, the fact is it rides on the same chassis and with the same powertrain as a Clipper Custom - including wheels and tires.

The basic body shell is shared with the Clipper. The front fenders, grille and hood ornament obviously come from the Senior, but with relocated trim mounting holes, for the upper moulding spears, which are unique to the Exec.

Even the interior trim is shared with the Clipper Custom, but uses the Senior instrument panel screen and ornaments.

While the Executive is something of an in-betweener, the ornamentation is that meant for a Senior.

IIRC, the line up for the proposed 57s even shows the Exec as a Senior, albeit without ribbed side trim.

As a newborn, I came home from the hospital in my father's Executive, and even have fond memories of riding in that car, later. I would have gladly forgone ownership of my Caribbean, if only my father would have saved his Exec.

The Executive is my favorite Packard of all time.

Posted on: 2022/2/12 16:45
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Not to take away from the 1955 Patrician’s tires as I am enjoying the discussion, but I agree about the 1956 Executive as one of my favorites but I only ever managed to get its relative, a 1956 Clipper Custom which is the Clipper model that was discontinued and repurposed into the Executive for the Packard lineup.

Posted on: 2022/2/12 17:16
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ryan
See User information
I have discovered my tires are actually L78-15 which are a bit bigger than spec. Hopefully this is the cause of my rubbing issue. Thanks for all the help, this forum is awesome!

Posted on: 2022/2/15 22:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes, L78s are considerably wider. Even those on my 1965 Cadillac are a bit too wide when it originally had (I believe) 8.15 X 15. Although they don't drag anywhere, I can hardly get the rear ones through the fender.

Posted on: 2022/2/16 2:29
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved