Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 106

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Proper Hood Ornament for 1932 models
Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
Hi all,

I had a customer ask which is the proper radiator cap and hood ornament for 1932. I don't know the answer and was hoping someone here can help me out.

I guess the real question is with or without the bale wire.

Thank you in advance,
Crin

Posted on: 2022/2/14 17:58
 Top  Print 

Re: Proper Hood Ornament for 1932 models
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The "proper" cap could be one of many, including the optional accessory caps; perhaps you meant the "standard equipment" cap? That would be the bail (not bale) cap and the wire is an intergral part of that cap. Hope this answers your question. If you need pictures, there is a special chapter in the Kimes-edited book on the caps and ornaments.

Posted on: 2022/2/14 18:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
You are a wealth of information. Thank you sooo much, I really appreciate it.

Posted on: 2022/2/14 18:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
Are you sure about 'bail'? I just did a quick Google search because I hate wrong grammar and spelling (pet peeve) and found this:

(I only ask because of how I have my items advertised and titled on my website - I don't want to sound like an idiot...lol)

Here's what I found regarding bale & bail:

Bail vs. bale
| GRAMMARIST

| SPELLING

Bale is the word for (1) tightly bound clumps of hay, cotton, or other materials, and (2) the making of such bundles. Bail is the correct word (1) in relation to sums of money given in exchange for prison release, (2) for the act of using containers to remove water from a boat, and (3) for the crossbars at the top of a wicket in the game of cricket.

Bale has a second sense that is much rarer and mostly archaic—namely, evil. And bail has several senses springing from the main ones (as well as many other obscure definitions that we won’t list here). For instance, we often talk about bailing people out of bad situations—i.e., helping remove them from trouble—even when the situations have nothing to do with prison or money. And the phrasal verb bail out has a second figurative sense—to abandon something. This comes from the literal sense, to abandon an aircraft, especially by parachuting.

One more for fans of quirky words: Bale is also the word for a group of turtles.

Posted on: 2022/2/14 18:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Well now, you raise a good point, my source was my memory and the spelling in the AACA (Kimes) book. I'll check some "off-the-era" Packard literature later tonight.

UPDATE: For what it's worth Packard 1933-1936 Eight and Super 8 parts list confirms "bail".

Google "bail wire jars" for some insight.

Posted on: 2022/2/14 19:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Deluxe (flying lady) , Pelican, Adonis, the plain cap, or the plain cap with bale.

However, the plain cap with bail was a 1932 and 33 . It did not have the feather which began in 1934 although I have seen it on period 33 cars. I will see if I can find a picture if it is not in a book. I've only seen it on one car and it has disappeared after that car entered the auction circus.

Posted on: 2022/2/15 11:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Interesting. I have a plain bale cap, but instead of a feather, it has something else. I wonder if it's what you're thinking of.

Posted on: 2022/2/15 11:55
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Checking further, Packard's 1935 -1941 parts book also uses the spelling "bail", not "bale". So, Tim and West, I'm curious about your reasoning for your choice of spelling.

Posted on: 2022/2/15 12:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Well, you are right, but I would never use googol for anything. I can't stand those brats. I use the dictionary. Anyway, I suppose the closest definition is "arched handle of a kettle or pail."

Incidentally, when I heard that those brats were using so-called artificial intelligence to profile people using the junknet and selling that stuff, I started doing bogus searches for things like pregnancy tests, diapers, unscented soaps, make up, high explosives etcetera, etcetera; they shut it down because they think I am a robot. If everybody started doing that those brats and that nefarious operation would collapse.

Posted on: 2022/2/15 17:55
 Top  Print 
Love (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I figure the incorrect word was picked by someone at Packard when the part was introduced and the misuse just carried on. I guess they could call it whatever they wanted, but this does not make it correct. Anyway, it is what it is and it is good we have these minor and inconsequential things to debate. Have a nice day.

Posted on: 2022/2/16 12:38
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved