Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 109

r1lark, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

core plugs
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bear
See User information
Are core plugs and freeze plugs the same part with two different names? 1949 288

Posted on: 2022/3/2 8:29
 Top  Print 

Re: core plugs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Quote:
Core plugs, also called freeze plugs or Welch plugs, are used to fill the sand casting core holes found on water-cooled internal combustion engines.

Core plug - Wikipedia

I have decided that I now prefer to call them Welch plugs.

Posted on: 2022/3/2 8:57
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I like Welch Plugs too! Never heard that one, everyone I know calls them frost plugs, my 1st acquaintance with them was in my '72 Duster when one rusted through and started leaking Prestone, replaced it but the rest of the car followed shortly after!
Oh, BTW, my Dad worked at a foundry and his job was to knock the caps off the castings that later becomes the plug's location. The sand that is inside is poured out to create the water jacket. It was a pretty hot and boring job so he and his co-workers used to challenge each other who could get them all off in as few of swings as possible. Likely a round of adult beverages was bought by the loser!

Posted on: 2022/3/2 22:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
My dad told stories about being a junior Navy officer and having a squad of Marines assigned to him to keep order while the sailors were on liberty in some Caribbean port, likely Cuba. Bars and whorehouses. Of course, he had to keep tabs on the jarheads, too. Damned kids. Lots of adult beverages, I'm sure.

So now I am wondering, why Welch plugs? I mean, not enough to Google it right now, but maybe.

"Your engine has run-of-the-mill freeze plugs, but I upgraded mine to Welch plugs . . . ."

Posted on: 2022/3/3 8:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
So, I did google it. I think the difference is that a welch plug is the type used in the king pin cap. It is a dished shaped disc that drops into the bore, then you peen it with a hammer so that it flattens out and creates a tight interference fit. Whereas a frost/freeze/core plug has a flange with a radiused edge and a slight taper that starts into the hole freely and then needs to be driven in for a final seal. I think I just learned something, and at my age too!
My Dad was stationed overseas during WWII, while going through basic and awaiting deployment to Europe he made the most of the British lament "They are over paid, over sexed, and over here!"

Posted on: 2022/3/3 9:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
But he was still under Eisenhower.

Posted on: 2022/3/3 9:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Amusing part is the freeze/frost plug designations. I know there are instances when a plug actually does pop out and maybe prevent a block from cracking but based on the number of posts here and in other forums where folks are lamenting cracked blocks and asking for suggestions on repair or replace, there are nowhere near enough for that purpose so the term and function is limited at best.

Posted on: 2022/3/3 11:24
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
All I have ever seen them do is rust out. I like the brass/bronze ones.

Very Welch . . . .

Posted on: 2022/3/3 12:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Here's more information about Welch plugs

https://www.hubbardspring.com/product/expansion-plugs-steel/

Certainly, more than any one person needs to know.

Note the hole geometry changes with plug diameter . . . I didn't know that!

Seems the design was by the Welch brothers, Pontiac Michigan circa 1905. Not sure I can believe the origin, but the web talks about one, or both, of the brothers fixing a car on the road with a coin. Accurate or embellished, good story anyway.

dp

Posted on: 2022/3/3 20:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
Amusing part is the freeze/frost plug designations. I know there are instances when a plug actually does pop out and maybe prevent a block from cracking but based on the number of posts here and in other forums where folks are lamenting cracked blocks and asking for suggestions on repair or replace, there are nowhere near enough for that purpose so the term and function is limited at best.

A couple popped out on my 1965 Imperial LeBaron but the block also cracked so seems they do not live up to the name "freeze plug" if they don't protect anything.

Posted on: 2022/3/3 20:15
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved